cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does PlusNet ever represent the views of its business customers to OpenReach?

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Does PlusNet ever represent the views of its business customers to OpenReach?

2 years and waiting.
When I moved my business up to Derbyshire in early 2013 it was expected Infinity would be available by October 2013. However for a variety of unpublished unsupported excuses it slipped back to the end of September 2015. We've registered interest with PlusNet and BT back in 2013, we check weekly on the availability pages, but still zero sign of progress by Openreach. Even the office of the Chief Executive of Openreach predicted at the start of 2015 predicted ISPs would be "taking orders by May 2015". It seems the bosses of Openreach accepted, without sanction, the dissemblements of their regional rollout team.
I fully expect BT Openreach to slip the delivery date again without reason other than poor project management. I'd guess within the next three weeks it will slip back to the end of December 2015 and so on. Our front door is 400 metres from the exchange and my dog cocks it leg on an empty green cabinet most mornings during its walk. We are not in a remote country lane.
It's not planning permission delaying things. I checked with the local authority, permission was granted in April 2013. BT fibres run outside my front door and have done since 2013.
Yet I read an article where the Openreach CEO crows about a great success and that the Fibre broadband network covers 80% of the country. Does he live in a parallel world?
My question is whether the Chief Executive of PlusNet uttered a single word of complaint on behalf of us business customers to OpenReach about their appalling rollout performance?Huh

Edit: removed typo in heading. - Mis-apostrification
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
10 REPLIES 10
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Does PlusNet ever represent the views of its business customers to OpenReach?

Quote from: AlaricAdair
My question is whether the Chief Executive of PlusNet uttered a single word of complaint on behalf of us business customers to OpenReach about their appalling rollout performance?Huh

No real need to qualify the scope of their appalling performance, however, it is not just a matter of has he complained, rather will they / do they take any notice?  As discussed elsewhere around here, several communications to Andy Baker and two emails to each of the CEO BT Plc and CEO BTOR has not brought about the comparatively simpler task of trimming one tree to enable the installation of a POTS service.
Fibre running past your front door to an installed cabinet is somewhat more complex so goodness knows when they'll get around to that.  May be the issue is that given your dog has peed all over the cabinet for months on end, the engineers now refuse to wok on it claiming that it is unsanitary!  Grin Crazy
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlaricAdair
Champion

Re: Does PlusNet ever represent the views of its business customers to OpenReach?

Ah just noticed the Cabinet "Availability Date" has slipped again by another 6 months from Sept 2015 to Mar 2016.  That is now three years late over the original date. No reason other than poor project management by OpenReach.
I guess that is what happens when the leadership of OpenReach is originates in marketing. A similar situation in PN too? When will PN start looking after its business customers and raise complaints with OpenReach?

Edit: 6:45pm
Interestingly I've just had a personal email from Joe Garner (CEO OpenReach) in response to an email I sent him this morning about the time scale slippage. So the message can get through, but when will we see some signs of PN doing the same?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Least you got a reply from him.  I was not so lucky; I have not had a reply from either the CEO of BT Plc or BT Openreach in respect of the 2 emails sent to them.  However I do know that PlusNET are on their case and chasing everyday and (credit where it is due) Andy Baker is also on BTOR's back too.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlaricAdair
Champion

An "unexpected" development has occurred. One week after my email interaction with the CEO of OpenReach, I have noticed that technicians wearing OpenReach colours are hard at work on my dog favoured FTTC cabinet. This surely must be work planned and scheduled in advance of my emails  Roll_eyes .

There has been a positive development from all of this though. In my research I discovered there's no dedicated UK national user group for consumers of telecommunication services. We're going to change that situation. We're starting the process of forming  a user group to represent the public and small businesses. We may extend this to take the views of existing user groups aligned to suppliers. The domains UKTUG.ORG and UKTUG.NET  (ie UK Telecommunications User Group) have been registered and my company is setting up, pro-bono, the supporting websites. Nothing much to see at present, but we'll be launching in a couple of weeks time hopeful in time to submit a view to Ofcom on their consultation on the future of comms in the UK.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That's really good news. Please keep us posted.  My problem of getting a solitary tree trimed is making no progress.

AlaricAdair
Champion

The UKTUG website is up and running. Now the hard part of getting it running and helping the personal and SMB consumers of telecommunication services.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Bit short notice for tomorrow's meeting.  Am away today so signing up will be tight!

AlaricAdair
Champion

Lol - there'll be more meetings.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hey, this is great Alaric. I'll have a good read of this as soon as I can make time.
AlaricAdair
Champion

Suddenly BT OpenReach have been able to fire up my local cabinet to the "accepting orders" stage for FTTC. Previously they'd slipped the date to Mar 2016 from Sept 2015.  Perhaps my direct contact to Joe Garner (Openreach) and Ed Vaizey (DCMS) caused OpenReach to recheck their spreadsheet, I don't know, but it is ridiculous that I've not had any interest/support from PlusNet on this issue. A prod from Phil Virgo, a buddy from my old days in the City of London, caused me to attend the INCA conference in Bristol. This is the trade body of the guys who provide  internet connectivity. The feeling I got from comments was the Dept of Culture Media and Sport are thoroughly hacked off with complaints about OpenReach. It was all very polite, but even the Ofcom guy was not overly effusive with his praise.  The BT spokesman who attended was jokingly praised for his courage.
I've just ordered a dedicated fibre for my office and will be ordering an (additional) 80/20 FTTC for home. Given PlusNet's new focus on volume rather than quality I'm afraid to say the business will not go their way. I certainly don't want to have to wait any longer than 15 seconds for a business support line to be answered.