sourceit
Grafter

Re: Do all providers do it or is it just plusnet cut you off with NO WARNING

Problem with IE7 too.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

IIRC IE7 actually opens a windows explorer box to perform the FTP transfer. I've already tested that and uploaded 12 files, they were all very small however. I'll test IE6 at home tonight and also try with some bigger files.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

There is a box on my floor running IE6 I think.  (For the webdesigner to look at stuff on)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend

Tested a number of files in varying sizes (text documents and mp3s) and didn't have any issues using IE6 or windows explorer. TBH I'm a bit stumped by this one now and at a loss as to how to test. I could perform a dial-test into your webspace and upload a selection of files and see if they upload correctly if that's ok with you.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
sourceit
Grafter

It kind of works now, but near the end I get the message:-
An error occurred copying a file to the FTP Server.  Make sure you have permission to put files on the server.
Details:
The operation timed out.
There was nothing slow about the transfer and the net connection didn't drop out and there was nothing else happening.
Chris
Legend

That does sound a bit odd, there is one other thing which may be an issue here. Have you tried tweaking the MTU and seeing if this makes a difference?
driveconsultant
Grafter

Quote from: chillypenguin

I am sorry but if you are looking for commercial web hosting from a company website, then you should choose a professional web hosting company. Especially if you web sit e is a source of revenue.
Not rely on free web hosting provided by your ISP!
But a guess you know that, hence why you are so "Annoyed with yourself".
Chilly

I can't agree with this comment. I would not expect to regard PlusNet's webspace as "free hosting". For a business customer especially I would regard it as one of the inclusive features provided as part of a paid-for package, and as such would expect it to be subject to the same levels as support as other aspects of the service. Would you apply the same principle to the email service? Or the ADSL connection?
IMO PlusNet are (or ought to be) able to offer a hosting service superior to a lot of the tuppeny halfpenny "professional" hosting companies who probably just have an old Pentium in someone else's data centre. The reason a lot of tech-savvy customers choose PlusNet is the complete package of features that many other ISPs or hosting companies just don't offer, such as static IP, IMAP, unlimited email accounts, SMTP delivery, CGI server, domain hosting, and so on. This is why I am about to recommend a company I know to move to PN - should I be thinking twice about this?
Mark
Grafter

I'll be straight with you.
Our hosting platform is designed as a value added service ( I dont really like that term) and the core product which your subscription pays for is the connectivity.
Our email platform is (now) really good and we've learned a heck of a lot from our past experiences. However our hosting platform is adequate but does not come with the features or sla's many of the dedicated hosting providers offer. It's their core business after all, where ours is connectivity. We're very good in that area and we do have plans for major improvements to our hosting solutions in the future. Currently only pennies of your monthly sub goes towards hosting.
Many businesses who rely on hosting as a mission critical service chose hosting providers with guaranteed SLA's and tend to keep both services seperate. I guess it's the old eggs in one basket scenario. We offer sla's to business customers for their connectivity but to be straight, our hosting (currently) is done on a best effort basis. We will respond to problems and issues swifly but we do not offer any hard and fast guarantees.
It comes down to the importance of the service and the choice and I guess that always rests with the customer.