cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Discussion of the new business products

Tony_W
Grafter

Re: Discussion of the new business products

Ah well, I'll have to look at option 2 then, and carry on hoping that download managers do not become universally popular.
Thanks,
Tony
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Strat
It's been raised as an internal problem and is currently being worked on. I can't give you a timescale but I'll get back in here when it's fixed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

No problem Chris.
Thanks Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: Tony
So, thankfully, we might be able to keep our existing CCGI based websites running... Am I reading this correctly?

Nobody should be thinking of continuing to run their PHP websites on CCGI - the platform is unsupportable because ALL support for the version of PHP it runs has ended.
It is quite obvious that Plusnet intend to do nothing about that as they have removed CCGI from all the currently offered packages (residential and business) and the idea of allowing people to have limited use of PAYH linked to their Plusnet account died the death. I suspect they hope CCGI will quietly fall in to disuse as more people move their websites to providers who actually know how to do web hosting.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Mark
Grafter

To be frank John. our core business is connectivity. Across the business base, there are very few businesses using our hosting solutions and to be frank most have these services provided elsewhere for very good reasons. I have always believed that our inability to host .asp etc has been a limiting factor over the last number of years and whilst we've offered  webspace for some time, the uptake from businesses has been limited.
I'm not convinced that for new sign ups the lack of some of the legacy features is going to be an issue. We've ensured that our existing base can retain these services and that was key.
Personally I'm over the moon with the new products and the fact that we've at last got them out the door has given our business team a lot of pride and joy.
Lets face it, they were long overdue. Smiley

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Out of pure nosiness I had a look at the speed restrictions to compare with the domestic products and I saw rhis
† HD Streaming does not work over Business Broadband
Why is this when there are no speed limits except at weekends and even then Option 3 is shown as line speed
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'm not saying what you are doing is technically wrong, hosting is not what you are about. But you should be honest with people using or thinking of using CCGI.
Because it is so out of date it is incredibly vulnerable, yet we still see people blissfully unaware and setting up new applications on CCGI. You should notify all existing users that CCGI is "end of life" and advise them that important applications ought to be on a proper fully supported host.
PS - Any chance of you removing blank lines from the end of your posts?
xpcomputers
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Out of pure nosiness I had a look at the speed restrictions to compare with the domestic products and I saw rhis
† HD Streaming does not work over Business Broadband
Why is this when there are no speed limits except at weekends and even then Option 3 is shown as line speed

That is intriguing indeed! The only explanation I can think of is that they are able to filter out the HD content using the traffic profiling on the Ellacoya boxes, but still allow through the SD content. Not sure how realistic a suggestion that is... but how else could something advertised as "line speed" but otherwise limited.
I would guess the rationale is that if the business products run with prioritised traffic profiles and no rate limits, then users could chomp through SERIOUS bandwidth watching HD footage all day every day, and turn the service into one that wasn't sustainable for either other business users or Plusnet... and even residential customers too (if the pipes got that congested!).
It's possibly therefore an artificial way to make the business products stand apart from the consumer ones... and make them less attractive to a residential customer fancying the prioritised traffic profiles!
Certainly if I was picking a new product today, I'd have been more tempted by Business Option 1 or Option 2, than by Value or Unlimited... (from a "headlines" perspective), but it is the little things that make a difference, so knocking the "consumer-attractive" HD content off the list, makes it a more business-only orientated product... which is of course their target market!
Mark
Grafter

makes it a more business-only orientated product... which is of course their target market!

Nail and head with that one.
I'm not saying what you are doing is technically wrong, hosting is not what you are about. But you should be honest with people using or thinking of using CCGI.

I understand your point and to be perfectly honest John I'm not as up to speed in that area as I once was but I'll ask the necessary questions tomorrow and get a clearer understanding of the issue.
PS - Any chance of you removing blank lines from the end of your posts?

Actually one of the Mods asked me about that a month or 2 back. I'm not exactly sure what does it. Whether I'm in work, at home using the lappy or the PC it seems to happen. I thought I was entering CR's after posting but I'm not. So its a mystery currently. It annoys me too when I read my posts. Sad I've just previewed this post and it looks ok, lets see what happens when I hit submit.

jelv
Seasoned Hero

I find it is very easy to end up with blank lines on the end of a post - particularly when copy pasting in quotes. The way to do it is when you've finish composing the email to hold the down arrow down till it reaches the end of all the lines in the box, then delete back so that the cursor is flashing at the end of the last line. Then click Post.
If you try modifying the two posts with the blanks at the end in this topic and do that you will find it will do the trick.
xpcomputers
Grafter

Just found a mistake in the FAQ:
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/low_cost_areas.shtml#6
6. Moving to a different area
If you move property into a different Market Area (i.e. if you move from Market 3 to Market 1) your broadband subscription payments won't change. So you would carry on paying the Market 1 price you're already paying for your broadband, not the Market 3 price.

I think that you need to re-read that paragraph to correct a mistake.... EITHER:
the example should change to be about a  "move from Market 1 to Market 3"... in which case the "carry on paying the Market 1 price you're already paying for your broadband, not the Market 3 price." is correct.
OR you need to change the details to say: "carry on paying the Market 3 price you're already paying for your broadband, not the Market 1 price.", so that the example "move from Market 3 to Market 1" is correct.
Hope this helps.
Mike
xpcomputers
Grafter

What I am looking for, but struggling to find is a comparison between the various "old" business packages & the "new" ones. Does such a comparison exist? Can anyone post a link?
I can quite see existing customers wanting to know this info, so they can decide whether they are better to stick or shift.... quotas, traffic priorities, changed charging period, all make direct comparisons hard...
You kind of need a traffic light system for each "feature".... Green for "better than old products"... red for "worse than old products"... with orange for "same as".... (all in some sort of simple chart - with click throughs to the detail).
Mike
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: xpcomputers
What I am looking for, but struggling to find is a comparison between the various "old" business packages & the "new" ones. Does such a comparison exist?
Mike

Not yet it doesn't.   I was giving this very issue some thoughts on my long drive to Norfolk yesterday.   I'll see if I can get a draft up this weekend. Cheesy
Edit:  Forgot to add that there is this page giving some details of the 'old' Business packages, but not in the comparative way that this link does for Residential

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

decomplexity
Rising Star

There must be some logic in this … but – as a PN ‘business’ customer – it escapes me.
Business Broadband Option 3 – the offering PN would clearly like all but the smallest SOHO businesses to take up and the only one offering Max Premium (832Kb/s) uploads by default – only provides ‘non-active-server’ webspace.
What on earth is the point??  It seems extremely likely that almost anyone in this target market segment will use some active server facilities, even if only for a Contact Us email form.
PN has a lot of legacy broadband accounts (my Teleworker Pro is one), but I would guess that to PN these are an administrative and billing inconvenience rather than giving any additional technical support demand or equipment overhead. Legacy server facilities are something else: providing and supporting CCGI (PHPV4 - whoops!), Frontpage extensions and so on must be more than inconvenience: it must be costly.
Why not be more open with existing customers: “We are essentially a connectivity company: please either move ALL your webspace needs to PAYH* or move them elsewhere. If you wish to move to PAYH, we will lubricate the transition and minimise the pain with a substantial PAYH discount”.

* - but not until PAYH supports Plesk9 with FastCGI (which gets around the current Safe Mode restrictions)! 
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Could you tell me which of these is correct
From 'Read More Info' on Business Option 3 here
Static IP (available)
Our products have a Dynamic IP assigned by default, but you can request a Static IP once your account is created.

or from here in Business FAQ.
13. Can I get multiple IP addresses?
Yes. Accounts come with a Static IP as standard, however you can ask for a block of IP addresses by raising a Ticket using the Help Assistant.

Also are the new Business products fully VPN compatible.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine