Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Currently ADSL2+AnnexM - looking at FTTC

cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Currently ADSL2+AnnexM - looking at FTTC

Currently have ADSL2+ AnnexM line from plusnet and believe that FTTC is now available to our premises.
When I go onto the plusnet portal to find out what FTTC options are available, I keep getting redirected to the 'change your package' page where I have to go through the upgrade process just to find out what is available.
At this point, I don't want to upgrade, just find out what my options are.  But the plusnet website susses out that there is already plusnet broadband at my postcode and number so redirects me to the upgrade page.
How can find out about what my options are now (in detail) without going through the change package process where there is no detail?
13 REPLIES 13
w23
Pro

Re: Currently ADSL2+AnnexM - looking at FTTC

Does this page redirect:  https://www.plus.net/business/broadband/fibre-optic/ ?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

That's great. It doesn't redirect and gives me an idea of the different packages.
The bit that does rediect is when I enter my postcode and phone number to see what is available at my address.
With a combination of the two pages, I can work out what my options are in detail.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The quickest way to find out what is available and the predicted speeds is http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome
The information you get from Plusnet is based on that data.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cjags
Aspiring Pro

I have been asked to provide a proposal and costs for a move to FTTC.
At the moment we have Plusnet ADSL2+ Annex M as the main internet line, and a backup ADSL2+ line from another ISP.
What would be the bes tway forward.
Migrate the backup ADSL2+ to Plusnet FTTC, leaving the Plusnet ADSL2+ Annex M as a backup service?
Or upgrade the Plusnet ADSL2+ service to FTTC, and leave the backup ADSL with the other ISP?
Or is FTTC so reliable, a backup option is not needed?
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

If you upgrade the Plusnet line, you would probably be best speaking to the Business Customer Options Team, as they may very well be able to do you a deal.  I have had a residential fibre connection for about a year now, and it has been pretty solid.  I would guess that since you have backup line, having a connection is pretty important (maybe vital) to the business.  The fibre connection could still develop a fault, that even with enhanced care on it could take days or more to repair.  If it is important to you then I'd still keep a backup line.  Having one with a different ISP gives you a little bit more chance that both lines won't have problems at the same time, as if there was a major problem with Plusnet, the other line would still work.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

If the business relies on a stable connection you should have one connection via PlusNet and one via another supplier. If possible source the lines from different telephone exchanges, but this is unlikely to be available outside of the centres of cities. With the secondary supplier, in the same exchange as the primary supplier, try to select one who manages their own equipment within the exchange. A lot of the Broadband companies "White Badge" the BT broadband network services within the exchange. Any supplier can "go down" for a variety of reasons, though nowadays this is increasingly rare. Routing your services through different equipment at the exchange can reduce the risk.
Avoid suppliers who's call centre is outside the UK. The language barrier and telephone tag can be a nightmare when fixing faults.
Pay for enhanced support, it (supposedly) give a better response from OpenReach when there's a problem.
Check whether you need static IP Addresses, not all Broadband packages supply this.
If you have not already done so, consider a dual wan port firewall with some kind of automatic switch if either line fails. We use a Vigor 2920 which can handle resilience, but there are several other good candidate devices. If you do buy such a device make sure it is IPv6 ready. PlusNet doesn't routinely provide IPv6 at the moment but it is bound to come along soon as the IPv4 addresses run out.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

I have just had residential FTTC installed and have discovered I am limited to 2M upload speeds.
If a business user chooses the unlimited FTTC product, will they be stuck with 2M upload speeds?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I believe that on Business the Fibre is provided on the 80/20 wholesale product (up to 76Mbps down and 19.5Mbps up).
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
cjags
Aspiring Pro

I am reading on the residential FTTC forum that 80/20 is only offered if the line is capable of 80M upload.
If not, the offering is 40/2
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When did you order the upgrade to FTTC?
cjags
Aspiring Pro

I haven't ordered FTTC yet but I was doing the groundwork back in June.
As well as looking at FTTC for my business friend, I was looking for myself at home (residential package).
At home, I signed up to unlimited FTTC on 25 June but was not aware that Plusnet had just changed the package to cap the upload speed at 2M.
My business friends have decided to go with Plusnet FTTC and have asked me to get the ball rolling.
This will be business unlimited fibre with phone package.
But upload speeds are crucial for the business and 2M is less than they get at the moment on ADSL2+AnnexM.
So I want to make double and triple sure that they will not get a capped upload speed on FTTC and the line will go as fast as it can.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I was hoping you'd ordered your home upgrade before 17th June!
Quote from: cjags
I am reading on the residential FTTC forum that 80/20 is only offered if the line is capable of 80M upload.
If not, the offering is 40/2

I believe it's only offered if the line is capable of more than 40Mbps download, otherwise, if you need better than 2Mbps upload they don't want your custom and would rather you went to another ISP.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Quote from: cjags

Business offers are quite different - the only business fibre product is 80/20

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.