cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crossing line residential -> business

Melancholie
Grafter

Crossing line residential -> business

Another thread make me think of this one - at one point do the terms require a business service be taken over a residential one?
A few scenarios - what are people's and Plusnet's thoughts? Some seem obvious.
1) An employee who works from home on occasion.
2) An employee who works from a home office all the time as they have no employer's office to work from.
3) Someone who is self-employed/freelance and runs their business from home.
4) A premises where a business with multiple staff running off of a connection reside.
For me 1 and 4 are obvious. 3 seems pretty clear, 2 is a bit more grey.
Opinions welcome - thank you!
6 REPLIES 6
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Crossing line residential -> business

In Plusnets terms for Residential service
Quote from: AndyH
If you're running a business from providing people with or managing other lines (using a Plusnet residential account), then I would refer you to this term http://www.plus.net/info2/legal/index.html
The services, including any equipment we provide to you under these terms must not be used for business purposes.

I don't think anyone is going to go out of their way to investigate you for breaking this condition, but be aware if you try to claim for loss of business or earnings because of slow response to faults or slow speed. PN do provide a business service with appropriate T& Cs
If you have a successful business I would support it adequately with professional IT services and some sort of duplicate line.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Melancholie
Grafter

I am not a business owner. As a general rule I run, regardless, with 2 ISPs.  Smiley
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Of those four options I'd say technically all transgress the T's & C's.
Only option 1 could probably be considered reasonable, though the employee ought to raise the issue with their employer for clarification/support.
The other three IMHO require a business connection.
However, this assumes that the PN T's & C's are reasonable. In todays world they are completely outdated on the issue of working from home, part-time working and sole traders who make incidental use of their connection to support business activities. And no doubt many other real-world scenarios.
An online worker, such as a trader or designer would be very ill-advised to rely on a single domestic connection anyway and deserve all they got when the service was inadequate for their needs.  Crazy
I came back to PN having been for a while with BeThere. Their T's and C's varied by package and were well-suited to cover all these scenarios.  Cool
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

We have a rental Holiday home. I've commissioned a PN business broadband service rather than domestic as we are in effect supplying broadband to others.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

I used to be with F2S which was taken over by StalkStalk Business but when I wanted to mothball my Ltd. Company I came to Plusnet and selected their domestic offering.
Eyes wide open I am happy with the level of service for the lower price, if I was relying on the connection for running a business I would pay more.
It's a question of risk versus consequences, in my experience internet connections rarely go wrong but measure that against the possibility of a couple of weeks without internet and what that would do to your business.
I would (and also my back manager would) be concerned for any business which was operating without doing a risk analysis including internet connection in this day and age.  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
dragon2611
Grafter

I suspect the only people who really care one way or another are the lawyers, but don't complain about loss of earnings if you have the residential service and it goes down.