Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connection issue - gaming.

MadPanther
Grafter

Connection issue - gaming.

Hi
I have business fibre 80/20 with enhanced care as I work from home.
This connection is shared by the family who are all out during the day.
My son is having issues gaming specifically CoD and Fifa when connected to this fibre.
If he goes next door who have Sky ADSL then he has no issue.
We tried him wired and wireless and both show very good connections, but the lag and delay is very noticeable.
I've also noticed the odd issue with iPlayer pausing and stuttering at night.
My router has been defaulted, all other devices disabled and the issue still remains.
I've read a few online posts that suggest this could be how plusnet shape the traffic.. Is there anything that can be done ?
As an aside.. when I joined plusnet speedtesting my connection shows 74/18  now i'm luck to get 60 /16 can you advise why the loss of nearly 19% ?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Connection issue - gaming.

Hi MadPanther,
The gaming and streaming issues could well be related to how we manage traffic on our business products as we simply don't prioritise either of those things.
I've run some connection diagnostics to be on the safe side but that didn't reveal any issues.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hey MadPanther,
What router is it you're using?
MadPanther
Grafter

Sorry for the very late reply to this.
The current situation is my son is not able to use a new XBOX One on my fibre connection.  We have no major issue with the broadband connection, but as I'm sure you can understand this is a big issue for him.

When he goes to his mates down the road it works fine on their 'slower' SKY connection, so now he is really giving me grief.. to the point I need to get this resolved or look at what my options are with other providers.

My Router is an ASUS RT-AC68U running Merlins Firmware:378.54_2

Speedtests are consitant and bufferbloat is graded as B:

Can anyone help with this ?

is it possible to have the account configured so it's business grade 8am - 6pm and home user after that ?
Thanks

MadPanther
Grafter

Has anyone got any ideas on this ?
I'll open a ticket and see if support can help

jbarker
Dabbler

Did you ever get this sorted? I have just today switched over to Business because I use my connection all day for work but then in the evenings I do heavy PC gaming, according to this article gaming isn't treated any differently than on residential? Hopefully someone from PN can confirm as i may have to see if i can revert back if not!

https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/about-traffic-prioritisation/

MadPanther
Grafter

Nope this was never sorted out.
My son has stopped asking, but he's not happy about it.

It's a shame Plusnet don't take into account home workers. Members who need business class service during the working day, but gaming and TV services outside of those hours.

jbarker
Dabbler

That's a shame. Having second thoughts about changing over now!