Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing to Business broadband

ccarmock
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Changing to Business broadband

I am on the unlimited Fibre broadband service - which has the lower than industry average upload of 2 Mb/s which is not really fit for purposes these days.

If I upgrade to business fibre broadband (with the 50 GB limit) this will allow up to 19 MB/s upload.    Could a member of plusnet staff please confirm I can do this without a contract problem (I am still mid contract) but would be staying with PlusNet so would not expect a penalty on the old contract.   Also please could you confirm you'll actually provide this up to 76 Mb/s download Business service since my line is capable of only 40 Mb/s and on the residential service you seem unwilling to provide an up to 76 Mb/s service just to get the faster upload - which I would prefer as it would be cheaper.

If I upgrade to the business service can you confirm if I can keep the same user id/password and same static IP address?

Maybe you could explain why you will not offer that ?  as it seems you are not consistent.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

21 REPLIES 21
AlaricAdair
Champion

Re: Changing to Business broadband

The speed of a VDSL link (the "Superfast Fibre") is dependent on the distance of your property from the street cabinet and the quality of the twisted pair copper wire leading from the cabinet to your home. If you are close, you should get a decent upload/download speed. PN should be able to measure this and give you an estimate.  However if you are not getting good download on existing "fibre" it is unlikely to improve with the PN business service.

The issue of upgrading the service and whether it triggers cancellation costs is down to PN policies; it's probably worth giving their sales team a call and discussing it.

However, if you are using the using the internet for business and your business would suffer if there are internet link problems, you might want to consider a different approach. If you want more detail I can post it here.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
ccarmock
Rising Star

The point I am making is I could upgrade to Fibre unlimited extra and this would give me just what I need - ie faster upload.  However since my line cannot go beyond 40 Mb/s down plusnet will not allow me to do that - even though they will get more revenue.

So it seems my only option with PlusNet will be to switch to business broadband.

If there is a way to upgrade to Fibre unlimited extra I will do that instead.  So my issue is not with download, as I know that depends on distance from the cabinet and cabling quality.  However my issue is with the paltry 2 Mb/s upload they offer on Fibre unlimited.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @ccarmock

By moving from Residential to Business, there shouldn't be any early termination charges for your contract. This does involve opening a new account, though so you'll need to create a new username, password and you'll lose your static IP.

As for your speed, it's unlikely that you'll see any increase because your downstream estimates are between 30 Mbps to 40 Mbps I'm afraid. You should get a slight increase in your upstream though.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
AlaricAdair
Champion

On my Zen Internet VDSL2 (Superfast) I get 79 d/19 u mbps unlimited and nice attitude on static IP.  We're about 2 minute walk from the street cabinet.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
ccarmock
Rising Star

It is the upstream I want to see an improvement in.   Will you sell me the Fibre unlimited extra consumer service - as that will give me the upstream I need.

If I have to move to business - is there a way to do it without a username / IP change - this will be very inconvenient as the service is located remotely so I would like to change without any interruption to service

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

What does http://dslchecker.bt.com/ give you?  If your download speed is only 30-40Mbps, I'd doubt you would be able to get the full 20Mbps upload, though you could probably get more than 2Mbps.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ccarmock
Rising Star

My line should get around 8 Mb/s upload - that is what router says is attainable - though capped  at 2 Mb/s at the moment.  The checker estimates 7 Mb/s upload.

So upgrading to either business OR Fibre unlimited extra will help - I'd prefer the latter - so PN - can I have Fibre Unlimited extra?

ccarmock
Rising Star

So any news from PlusNet on whether I can sign up for Fibre unlimited extra please?

ccarmock
Rising Star

PlusNet - any news?   Can I buy that Fibre unlimited extra options?

ccarmock
Rising Star

Over 2 weeks now since I asked the question and still no answer from PlusNet - can you reply please?

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

This forum is not an official support route, if you want an answer you need to use the normal customer support channels.

ccarmock
Rising Star

Thanks.   Am still keen to see if PlusNet actually reply here, as this sub forum is under 'Help with my Plusnet services, and run by PlusNet - so I still expect them to reply.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

@JonoH - tagged for a pick up please.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

JonoH
Hero
Fixes: 157

@ccarmock wrote:

PlusNet - any news?   Can I buy that Fibre unlimited extra options?

Sorry for the delay in responses and thanks for tagging me Townman.. You're not able to change to Fibre Unlimited Extra because your download speed estimate isn't high high enough for the product to be available.

I appreciate that in this case you require the increased upload but we're unable to offer that product to customers with a speed estimate of 40mbps or less.

Edited - changed 40mbps or more to read 40mbs or less. Thanks Townman

Jono H
 Plusnet Community Manager