cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing number while moving

Username
Grafter

Changing number while moving

We're moving office shortly. At the moment we have access to the new offices, and have had a phone line installed (in our name), at some stage the number of this line will change. Can we start the process of transfering our broadband connection to the current number, even though the number may change before the broadband service goes live?
4 REPLIES 4
cpdixon
Dabbler

Re: Changing number while moving

Hi, this is entirely possible.
Your phone provider will have to perform a renumber of your line once the broadband has been moved to your new number.
Without attempting to scare you, they do sometimes get it wrong and instead of doing a 'renumber' they fully cease your line and provide it again on the new number. To avoid this you just need to ensure that they are going to perform a renumber and nothing else.
Hope this helps!
Username
Grafter

Thanks for your prompt response
Quote from: Chris
Your phone provider will have to perform a renumber of your line once the broadband has been moved to your new number.
Sorry confused here... Is it OK to apply to transfer the broadband to the older number, but have the line renumbered while waiting for this to happen?
I'm working with very sort time scales here, and can't afford to be without a broadband connection.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Depending on the possible costs to your business if the move goes wrong and depending upon how much you trust BT to get it right I'd be tempted to order ADSL at the new premises on an extra line and cancel it again once the move has completed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
cpdixon
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
Depending on the possible costs to your business if the move goes wrong and depending upon how much you trust BT to get it right I'd be tempted to order ADSL at the new premises on an extra line and cancel it again once the move has completed.

This is an option and a perfectly valid one, depending on the budget you have for the move of your service. This is without a doubt the safest way to approach the move.
We are talking here as if you are definitely going to have problems... We do many many moves of DSL connections and a very small number of issues and I have seen loads of renumbers complete successfully.
Your phone provider will more than likely not be able to have the renumber completed whilst we are getting the DSL connection activated, but regardless of this they will do it once the broadband service is live.
Are you liaising with the business movers desk for this?