cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get PDQ's to work - blocked port issue??

wpartridge
Dabbler

Re: Can't get PDQ's to work - blocked port issue??

The plot thickens...
As a test, I unplugged one of the terminals from the 8-port switch and plugged it directly into the plusnet router. It worked! So it seems it has something to do with the switch blocking the PDQ's somehow. I would just plug both PDQ's into the router but unfortunately the location is not convenient for this. My initial reaction was that maybe the 8-port switch is not working, however I have tested it and it is fine with the tills and plugging a laptop straight in, it's just the PDQ's that don't work with it.
wpartridge
Dabbler

Quote from: Mook
Hi,
Is the MAC address not printed on the bottom of the base unit?
OK, when I asked you to turn the PDQs off I assume you turned off the base(s) to which they are attached?
And you really did turn everything off, and restart?
What is the status of the Network Icon as shown on Page 9 of the manual? If this indicates that there is no network connection then you need to check the connections between it and the switch.
I assume all other Internet access works on this LAN?

Hi Mook, yes - turned off the bases. Network icon is operating as it should be I suppose - it has been red when trying to use them through the switch (not working), green when plugged directly into Plusnet router (working fine)
Cheers
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK that's progress at least. Try using another port on the Switch, but turn it off before you change things over. Some switches although meant to smart are really a bit thick and can get confused when the MAC connected to the port changes. If this works then the candidate is the switch. If it doesn't then it may well be the wires from the switch to the base of the terminal.
Are the terminal bases connected to the switch via a wall plate? Or directly using a wire? Regardless, try connecting a laptop using the cable from the Terminal base unit to see if you can get Internet access.
wpartridge
Dabbler

Yup - I've tried a variety of what you suggest - different ports, tested the ethernet cables etc, (no wall plates) and It is definitely something to do with the switch itself. Cables are fine, and changing sockets on the back makes no difference.
jim:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

A variety may not be everything. Have you tried connecting a laptop to the cable used for the Terminal base?
If not I suggest you do. If it works you can test the port theory by using telnet (You'll need the server IP and Port for this test). You'll get an excellent client here if you need it.
If you have what was the result and I  confess to being at a loss, I've never known a switch to block ports unless it's a managed switch. If there is a reset button on it get the manual and find out how to reset it.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 150

Quote from: wpartridge
I have recently signed up for Plusnet business broadband for my bar & restaurant. This is primarily for internet access in the office and a network for the tills and PDQ machines.

Quote from: wpartridge
I unplugged one of the terminals from the 8-port switch and plugged it directly into the plusnet router. It worked! So it seems it has something to do with the switch blocking the PDQ's somehow.

Hi Will,
Is this an intelligent switch?  If yes it could have been configured to restrict connectivity.
Introducing PDQs in to a shared network in the manner you describe is a massive headache for you and your PCI-DSS compliance.  Such implementations require segregated subnets, tightly controlled routing, IDS and strict access controls on all network components.  Is it possible that the suppliers of your POS system have implemented some restriction to comply with those requirements?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Might the solution be to find out what IP and subnet the old router was using and configure the new to match?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wpartridge
Dabbler

Thanks all,
I'll find out what the switch is tomorrow (have gone home now) to see if it is a smart switch and I'll report back!
Thanks again
Will
wpartridge
Dabbler

Update:
Got it working! turned out that after all that the cable had some loose connections! If one end of it was off-straight it lost the connection. Have replaced now and all is good!
Thanks to everyone for the help, greatly appreciated  Smiley
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 150

Hmmm it just goes to show that sometime the most complex of issues have the simplest of causes / resolutions!  Grin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.