cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get PDQ's to work - blocked port issue??

wpartridge
Dabbler

Can't get PDQ's to work - blocked port issue??

Hello,
I have recently signed up for Plusnet business broadband for my bar & restaurant. This is primarily for internet access in the office and a network for the tills and PDQ machines. Plusnet messed up with the install and it was delayed by about a month. In this time, I had to plug my PDQ machines into my home modem (I live above the premises) so that I could take card payments - and they worked fine. A few days ago, Plusnet completed their setup and I now have broadband and internet access in the bar working fine. However, when I plug my PDQ's (via a hub) into the Plusnet router, they do not work! If I plug in a laptop via ethernet cable, there is internet access, however the PDQ's simply won't work. Having gone around in circles speaking to both sets of tech supports, It appears that the PDQ's are working (no problems when plugged into my home modem) and the Plusnet broadband is fine (have internet access). My PDQ company thinks that the router must be blocking the ports that the PDQ's use. I tried turning off the firewall but this did nothing. I rang Plusnet to ask about the port issue but they say they are not trained in this! I now know which port numbers need to be allowed through, however I don't know how to check if the router is blocking them - and if it is - how to unblock them! The router is a Technicolor TG582n.
If anyone has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks
Will
24 REPLIES 24
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Can't get PDQ's to work - blocked port issue??

Have you checked that the terminals are using the correct subnet? The Plusnet supplied router uses 192.168.1.nnn. Are the terminals set to get their IP address from DHCP?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wpartridge
Dabbler

The PDQ's do use DHCP - I'm not sure how to check that they're using the right subnet though. I'll see if i can find anything in the settings.
Cheers
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

do business accounts have the broadband firewall https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall ? if so have you switched it to off?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You should see the devices with the IP addresses allocated listed here: http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/devs/ov/?be=0&l0=4&l1=0
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
wpartridge
Dabbler

Okay, so the firewall is definitely off, and there is no PDQ setting to do with the subnet address - I spoke to my PDQ provider and they said that this would not be the problem.
Incidentally, I did a port test, and the ports I need to use are coming up as 'closed' when I do the test. Is there some setting within the router to allow traffic on these closed ports?Huh
Thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

The fact that the ports are closed is really a moot point as these will be opened automagically by the PDQ / Router when needed.
As asked by jelv do you see these devices physically listed in both of your routers? (When connected of course)
Going in to the config of a PDQ what address does it say it has?
wpartridge
Dabbler

Hi Mook,
Thanks for your post. You may have to talk me through how to check if the devices are listed in both of the routers as I'm not great at this sort of thing unfortunately! My setup looks like this:
phone line ---> Openreach Modem ---> Plusnet Router ----> Wired ethernet connection to 1 8-port switch ---> 8 port switch has 2 x PDQ and 2 x till attached.
What should I do to check?
Thanks
dick:quote
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
I should point out at this point I do not use (and never have)  a PlusNet router. There are others here that are far more experienced in this hardware than I am.
But as stated in Jelv's post you can see a list of the attached devices here. If you are using a default configuration and reading this on the same network (LAN) as the PDQs then you should be able to click on the link.
The list presented to you should show you all the devices connected to the network, so if your tills and PDQs are switched on you should at least be able to see these, if you can't then there is an issue with address allocation or connectivity.
This may sound stupid, but log into your PlusNet router and disconnect, then turn off the power to the router, the tills, PDQs and switch. Leave them all off for long enough to have a coffee. After your brew switch things on in this order and please wait as required otherwise you're wasting your time:
Switch (wait 20 > 30 seconds)
Router (wait 5 minutes)  Why 5 mins? I've heard that it can take a considerable time for this device to boot, but I may well be corrected by others on that.
PDQs (one at a time and wait until 'ready')
Tills (one at a time waiting until 'ready')
If you have other devices like order printers turn them off as well, and turn them on after your tills.
If you follow the above I suspect it will all work when the boot up is complete in about 6 > 7 minutes.

wpartridge
Dabbler

Righto,
I ran through that process (everything except coffee as I've had 3 already today Smiley )
Hasn't worked I'm afraid.
Here's a screenshot of attached devices if it helps?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi William,
That does surprise me to be honest, more curiously this LAN is called 'Home Network' and not as I would expect 'Work Network' or 'Restaurant'!  I do see a device called POSSVR, that if going by the title would imply a Point of Sale Server did you turn the power off on this and restart it?
Do the PDQ's, Tills etc. have their MAC addressed printed on labels that you can use to see if the match any of the devices listed below?
What is the model of the PDQ device?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Well that screenshot shows that the router is seeing 4 devices connected via the switch (which is prsumably plugged in to LAN port 1 on the router) and has allocated IP addresses to them, so that at least looks fine.
Incidentally, I did a port test, and the ports I need to use are coming up as 'closed' when I do the test. Is there some setting within the router to allow traffic on these closed ports?Huh
The port test is only for unsolicited incoming traffic, there is no blocking of outgoing traffic. I can't see why the PDQ machines would use unsolicited traffic, I would assume they connect up when needing to authorise a transaction.
I'm no expert on the PDQ system but this couldn't possibly be a problem with the recent IP ranges being mistakenly treated as non-uk could it ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: MisterW
I'm no expert on the PDQ system but this couldn't possibly be a problem with the recent IP ranges being mistakenly treated as non-uk could it ?

doesn't seem to be... starts  87.113.*.*
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
wpartridge
Dabbler

Quote from: Mook
Hi William,
That does surprise me to be honest, more curiously this LAN is called 'Home Network' and not as I would expect 'Work Network' or 'Restaurant'!  I do see a device called POSSVR, that if going by the title would imply a Point of Sale Server did you turn the power off on this and restart it?
Do the PDQ's, Tills etc. have their MAC addressed printed on labels that you can use to see if the match any of the devices listed below?
What is the model of the PDQ device?

The PDQ's are Ingenico iWL250  - I can't find any function to print off the MAC address.
I think the POSSVR is probably one of the tills, but I'm not 100% sure.
Sad
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,
Is the MAC address not printed on the bottom of the base unit?
OK, when I asked you to turn the PDQs off I assume you turned off the base(s) to which they are attached?
And you really did turn everything off, and restart?
What is the status of the Network Icon as shown on Page 9 of the manual? If this indicates that there is no network connection then you need to check the connections between it and the switch.
I assume all other Internet access works on this LAN?