Did you mean: 

Can I leave plusnet when on a Business contract, I cannot cope anymore

chris2005
Grafter

Can I leave plusnet when on a Business contract, I cannot cope anymore

Hi
Please can you tell me if its possible to leave plusnet while on a contract
I cannot go on anymore with this servivce
I have staff sitting about and cannot do anything because of the internet speeds
I've change my router , changed filters, what else can I do
Everytime I ring you tell me everything is fine even though my ping is 4000 ms
6 REPLIES 6
chris2005
Grafter

Re: Can I leave plusnet when on a Business contract, I cannot cope anymore

Hi
I've just phoned plusnet and this time its been explained whats causing the problem
My problem is that I'm uploading to much data but as far as I know I'm not
Could this be a virus causing this issue
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Assuming what Plusnet say is correct then it appears that something is saturating your upload connection
As a start what does this show as your usage https://portal.plus.net/view_my_broadband_usage/index.php
Does your router give you the upload and download usage
Assuming your office doesn't work over night are the various computers switched off or left on - if switched off is there a drop in usage. If left on and there is still a significant usage then you need to find out which one is doing it.
An employee using peer to peer on his computer would do it
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another option open to you is netstat.
From a Windows command prompt you can enter netstat -an or -as to give you information about the network connections on that PC. The -an switches will give you a list of the addresses and ports that the PC is connected to and can be very usefull in finding 'stray' connections.
If you intend to do this make it easier for yourself by disconnected all applications the go online, browsers, email etc and disconnecting any shared drives you might have, for no other reason that to limit the output.
chris2005
Grafter

Hi
Thanks for the replies
I've checked the plusnet usage chart and its showing most usage for streaming which is at the top of the scale nearly and the next is Web usage
Gaming on a very small amount
peer to peer is showing nothing

The only thing is my daughter has been watching minecraft video on youtube while shes been on school holidays could this be causing the problem ?
I have put a stop to this as from today
picbits
Rising Star

If you use Apple devices, there have been instances of large continuous uploads to the "cloud" or syncing iTunes etc. Sometimes this gets stuck in a loop and never completes but saps your bandwidth.
Other issues can be viruses or spyware.
If you are in a business environment, try hardwiring any PC's to a switch and watch the activity lights on the individual ports to give you an idea which machine(s) are misbehaving.
Saturating your upload bandwidth virtually kills all incoming bandwidth and can lead to a miserable browsing experience !
You could also set up a ping graph which can also highlight issues as it lets you know what times the problems are most prevalent.
cjags
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

We had a similar problem recently.  The internet access for staff was dreadful.
Checking the router's data flow monitor showed that one of the staff had an iphone connected to the guest wifi which was hogging the broadband.
Once the offending phone was blacklisted, everything was OK.