cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Traffic Prioritisation and Speeds

Stigfish
Grafter

Business Traffic Prioritisation and Speeds

Can anyone tell me what downloads are classed as on xbox live please?, is it classed as a download server/site?, at present I'm 2hrs into a multiplayer beta of halo reach (1.15Gb) and currently its only on 44% (ie. its crawling).
As a freelance gaming journalist this sort of download is quite time sensitive to me, although i do understand and respect that traffic shaping is needed, i am only concerned incase i am seeing speeds alot less than should be available to me on the business option 3 package, if it the speeds should be like this then i will grin and bare it, although i'm hoping they arent.
Also.. whilst i'm asking about speeds.. Can anyone tell me what is classed as "Streaming" on the business packages please?
My issue is that all forms of streaming such as bbc iplayer, sky player and youtube are all running totally unwatchable, buffering every 4 or 5 seconds (buffering taking 15-20 seconds), mostly noticed betweem 7pm and 10pm'ish.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
mliversidge
Dabbler

Re: Business Traffic Prioritisation and Speeds

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Also http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#bizOption3
Have you checked the status of your exchange? http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Whilst I understand that you are a journalist and as such may have been looking for a business account for that reason, our business packages are rate limited for gaming as per the link Jelv provided above.
We do ask that you use a business connection if you rely on the service for work but you may get more out of Plusnet pro for gaming.
With regards to streaming on any type of package with us we class this as any streaming of video our audio content including youtube. So it is worth bearing in mind too that youtube traffic is rate limited to 1mb 7pm-10pm during the week. I understand you mentioned bbc iplayer too so we'd be interested to hear how that seems to be performing for you outside of those times.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Stigfish
Grafter

@ jelv @ mliversidge - thanks for the links
@adamwalker - the gaming side of things i am fine with on the business product, the speeds i am seeing are totally fine and I now understand that xbox live downloads are classed as download servers between 5pm and 10pm so they are limited (i'm also fine with this), but as for your comment on steaming being limited to 1mb between 7pm and 10pm i just dont understand as it is stated in the link that jelv provided above that streaming on the business option 3 product is at "line speed" at all times, outside of 7pm to 10pm the streaming returns to normal, which is why i asked about if it is right, as the way i see it the streaming on my account is being rate limited when your own published speeds state it isnt.
As an experiment I have tried bbc iplayer, sky player, youtube, spotify and last.fm, they all seem to be limited between 7pm-10pm and run fine at all other times.
Cheers,
Craig.
EDIT: I see that youtube has its own category and is limited to 1mb between 7pm-10pm so i understand where you are coming from now with that (apologies) but i am still confused over the other forms of streaming (bbc iplayer, sky player, spotify and last.fm).
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The results you get from http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/diagnostics might be interesting.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Stigfish
Grafter

cheers jelv, i've just checked that and its all good so i'll test that again after 7pm tonight, cheers again.
Stigfish
Grafter

Ok I ran the test again (bbc iplayer diagnostics) at 8.11pm tonight and got the following results:
Download Speed: 6523 kbps
Streaming Speed (1): 459 kbps
Streaming Speed (2): 6194 kbps
Streaming Speed (3): 6628 kbps
Earlier I ran the test at 10.08am and had the following results:
Download Speed: 6213 kbps
Streaming Speed (1): 6094 kbps
Streaming Speed (2): 6014 kbps
Streaming Speed (3): 6215 kbps
Seems that my problem is with Streaming Speed (2), anyone any ideas?
Thanks.
Stigfish
Grafter

Just checked Skyplayer and Youtube and both are buffering badly, as far as the prioritising goes its my uunderstanding that Skyplayer is classed as "streaming" and therefore should be at line speed? And Youtube is restricted to 1mb between 7pm and 10pm, but again surely it should be watchable on 1mb?
Ive uploaded short videos to my youtube account so you can see what i mean (please excuse the sound, my dog was munching on a rather large bone right next to me).
SkyPlayer example:
>

YouTube example:
>
Stigfish
Grafter

15 days no reply, i guess its something i'll have to live with then.