cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Move to new Premises - How do I limit downtime

ASL_Neil

Business Move to new Premises - How do I limit downtime

Hi all,

I've tried calling the business moving team, but gave up after being told it was a 15 minute wait.

I am in buildings that are next to each other and I want to move my unlimited fibre from number 1 to number 3. I have ordered a new telephone line for number 3 and want to know the best procedure for moving my broadband, with as little downtime as possible.

I believe that I am just out of contract (two years).

Am I just as well starting a new contract? Can I end my current (out of) contract with one months notice?

Thanks,

Neil

4 REPLIES 4
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Business Move to new Premises - How do I limit downtime

Do you have any static IPs that you need to keep the same?  If not there shouldn't be any harm in opening a new account and cancelling the first.  It's possibly a bit safer as you'd be able to get everything set up and tested prior to moving if there is any overlap.  That's the approach I took when I last moved a business line.

Are you sure you tried to contact the business moving team and not the residential moving team?  The business lines don't usually have queues too long.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ASL_Neil

Hi P J Marsh,

Thank you for the tip about static IPs. Yes, we have one that I would ideally like to retain.

I'm fairly sure that I called 0800 587 1952.

Thanks,

Neil

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

Hi Neil,

If the premises are so close, it could be as simple as asking for the current service to be re-routed.  From an engineering perspective, it should be possible to have the local portion of the d-side swapped between the premises, either from the telegraph pole or the local DP.

If #3 is literally "next door" then a simple master socket move might suffice.

Did you particularly want a new phone number?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Neil.

If you create a new account you won't be able to keep you static IP address the same.

We'll be able to sort this out like a house/business move by ceasing the service at the current premises and reprovide at the new premises. This way, your static IP shouldn't change.

The cease and provide usually happens on the same day, however there's always a small possibility of some downtime I'm afraid as the required work takes place.

If you would like to go ahead I'd recommend calling us back on 0800 587 1952.

There shouldn't be a wait time at the moment to get through.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet