Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Business Broadband and IPSec

kgk86
Grafter

Business Broadband and IPSec

Afternoon,
I have a customer with 3 sites connected with an IPSec vpn. All sites are with different ISP's.
As PN is my preferred supplier the latest office has Plusnet Business ADSL2+ (Pulling about 20Mb) (boo VDSL just been pushed back another 6 months, so close  Cry )
The head office is on BT Infinity at 78Mb and the other office is *cough* talktalk *cough* fibre at 78Mb.
They run an IP PBX over the site links as well as SIP trunks out of the head office on the BT Infinity.
My question is, if I were to migrate the 2 sites to PN, will I see an improvement in speed between offices? as presumably the connections will now stay within PN's network rather than being handed off the network at a peer then back on.
2 REPLIES 2
dragon2611
Grafter

Re: Business Broadband and IPSec

Now that's a hard question to anwser.
If none of the ISP's are suffering from congestion then it really shouldn't be any faster as they should all have the capacity to handle the speeds you are being sold.
You may however find that depending on which LNS all the sessions landed on the latency might be slightly better as in theory the traffic between offices shouldn't have to go out to an IXP or across Transit connections between the ISPs.
You mentioned IPSEC in your title but I can't see any reference to it in your post, I know it works on P/N if that helps as I have an active Site2Site tunnel connected on mine.
Anteaus
Grafter

Re: Business Broadband and IPSec

That depends where the bottleneck is. Being on the same ISP will eliminate any bottlenecks on the fat pipes between ISPs. It will not eliminate any bottlenecks on the exchange equipment, fibre infrastructure or the trunks to the ISP.  If the cost (including downtime and reconfiguring work) is not too great, then I would have thought the elimination of any inter-ISP bottlenecks is worth it.