cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broadband still drops out during wet/windy weather - then service slow for days

tillydaff
Grafter

Broadband still drops out during wet/windy weather - then service slow for days

Hi, our broadband dropped out last Tuesday night during the wet and windy weather. Since then, it's been below 2 Mbps download speed. There was another outage on Saturday, and we rebooted the router a few times.
Currently DSL Connection Rate :3.58 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM),
0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for the line is - 3 Mbps, Download speed is 1.9 Mbps.
We've had a series of BT engineers visiting over the months to try to find the fault that causes the dropouts during wet/windy weather, but they always turn up in dry calm weather, and can't find the fault! Is there any way to reduce the time it takes to get the download speed back up over 2 Mbps again??  Or a sure-fire way to find the fault so it can be fixed, especially with winter approaching!
Cheers, Anne
ps - I tried using the online broadband checker to report the problem, but it crashed!
4 REPLIES 4
Aled
Dabbler

Re: Broadband still drops out during wet/windy weather - then service slow for days

Hello Anne,
Sorry to hear that you're having problems.
I've had a look at your account and can see that the Broadband Fault Checker completed so our Business Support Team should be in touch over the next couple of days. Weather related issues can be pretty tough to track down for exactly the reason you mentioned so hopefully we can get to the bottom of it.
By the way, there's another forum especially for Business customers that's staffed by our Biz Team <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/board,37.0.html">here</a>.
All the best,
Aled
gundog

Re: Broadband still drops out during wet/windy weather - then service slow for days

Hi Anne
Don't know if this helps but we had a very similar problem last year (bad weather related) we are with xln adsl broadband at work and last year the broadband would run around 1-2Mbps it sometimes dropped out completely during the wet and windy weather, we had the usual conversation with their tec guys, you know, plug the router into the master socket bla bla bla, the fault must be your end, have you reset the router etc, etc,  in the end I requested a BT engineer, he checked everything in the office and found nothing wrong, so he went to the cabinet in the street, came back about 30 minutes later and said I found the fault.
The fault he found was the wires had been striped back too far and were exposing copper wire, he said condensation in the cabinet was causing an arch.
I did not believe this would cause such bad broadband speed but we have not had the same problem since he fixed the exposed copper wires and our speed as been around 6-7Mbps.
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Anne,
I am reviewing the fault you raised on the portal as I type this.  I will be in touch in the next few minutes to discuss the issues you are experiencing.
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

As per our conversation,
This is now resolved. There was a brief change in sync rate due to DLM and that affected the BT profile. Our profile was still lagging a little behind and a quick update and reboot of your router is now giving the correct speeds.
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by this.
Please do get back to us if you need further assistance either by raising a new post here, or by calling on 0800 028 0282.