cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BTOR engineer misses appointment - line not installed - no compensation

Username
Grafter

BTOR engineer misses appointment - line not installed - no compensation

We had an engineer's appointment booked for today 8am - 1pm to install a new line for a second broadband connection. Engineer fails to show up so we have to wait a week for another appointment (complicated issue with access & building usage means it has to be a Friday, or done and completed before 11:30 on Monday) - no compensation or good will offer made!
However, when there's a fault on the network and an engineer needs to visit to fix it, if the customer is not available then there is a £144.00 ex VAT charge.
Please tell me who we invoice a similar amount to to recover the costs of having to open and staff the building today....
9 REPLIES 9
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: BTOR engineer misses appointment - line not installed - no compensation

See http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/generalbriefings/generalbriefingsarticles/gen... to find out how much OpenReach will be paying Plusnet for the missed appointment.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Interesting question, but being a business to business service it's not covered by consumer legislation, so the contract between the parties is key.
As a starting point I'd say that the only compensation likely would relate to a delayed supply of service, if the contract had relevant clauses and penalties.
As a starting point any supplier to a business would be reasonable in assuming that access was available at hours appropriate to the type of premises.
Often, with security cover, this would be 24*7, but at least "office hours" for most locations.
So, unless you had a written contractual agreement that reflected your very limited access times, no chance really as the premises would be presumed "open" on a return visit at "normal" times.
Username
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
As a starting point any supplier to a business would be reasonable in assuming that access was available at hours appropriate to the type of premises.
Often, with security cover, this would be 24*7, but at least "office hours" for most locations.
As the premises is a Church then, following your line of thinking, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect BTOR to install the line on a Sunday would it?
Remember that there are a lot of organisations that need business lines/connections (as they are clearly not domestic dwellings) that don't operate typical 8am-6pm business hours...
As said before, if these organisations miss an appointment to fix an connection issue by BTOR they get charged, it's not too difficult to image a charity with only one part time office based member of staff who through some unforeseen issue can't get in and open up - next thing they know is a bill arrives for £144.00 ex VAT. Now look at it the other way, special arrangements are made to have staff in so a new line can be installed and the BTOR engineer simply doesn't turn up. It's far from a level playing field is it?
Further investigation has discovered the engineer didn't turn up due to a basic administration error - preinstall work had been completed but not fully signed off. Is it too much to expect a communication of some sort informing the end user that no engineer was going to show? It's not as if they were running late, the job simply wasn't allocated due to the earlier admin error....
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'd love to see someone take a failed appointment to court. Charging £144 if access is not given but only paying £45 for appointments missed by BTOR smacks of an unfair contract.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Username
Quote from: HPsauce
As the premises is a Church then, following your line of thinking, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect BTOR to install the line on a Sunday would it?
Exactly. That's what I said isn't it?  Huh
hours appropriate to the type of premises
Obviously they need to be told the details and restrictions to act accordingly.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi Username,
I'm sorry to hear of the issues that you've encountered here. Would you be able to PM me the account username in question so I can take a look for you?
Username
Grafter

@Chris - PM sent as requested.
It would be good to know what the official PlusNet line is on missed appointments - If the following is correct and PlusNet get paid for these missed appointments and don't pass this on to their customer then it could be seen as you don't really care and just sit back, take the payment and rub your hands!
Quote from: jelv
See http://www.openreach.co.uk/orpg/home/updates/briefings/generalbriefings/generalbriefingsarticles/gen... to find out how much OpenReach will be paying Plusnet for the missed appointment.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

We deal with such issues on a case by case basis so there isn't really an official line as such.
Once the engineer has been and gone on Friday, we'll discuss this further with you and get something sorted out.
Username
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Once the engineer has been and gone on Friday, we'll discuss this further with you and get something sorted out.
Would have been nice t have been told this on the telephone, rather than there's nothing PlusNet can do!