Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BT Records wrong - and then they try to pinch the order

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

BT Records wrong - and then they try to pinch the order

Plusnet's  big brother were playing rather dirty,
It would seem BT have the wrong postcode against our landline which is causing a glitch is the order for B/B we have placed with PN.  So I phoned BT Business and after the usual merry go round - key 1 for this 2 for that etc, and after 5 calls got through - to someone in Business sales seemed to understood.
Looking on their central computer systems they could see that a query had been placed against our phone line for B/B - and the guy then tried to persuade us to place the order with BT direct - cheeky lot.
Seems he couldn't get the incorrect postcode changed  - anyone know how ?.
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: BT Records wrong - and then they try to pinch the order

Hi Mal,
First off - check the post code on your BT Bill.  If it matches the one that we have told you that BT say the telephone number matches, then we'll change the one that you've given us and we'll resubmit the order.
I'll try giving you a ring.
Mal08
Rising Star

Thanks James - superb service:  Grin Smiley
By contrast - I spent about 40 minutes on the phone to BT being pushed from one person to the other, transfer and call cut off, got no satisfaction. OK at least BT have 0800 numbers unlike many others.
Then I placed 1 short message here, and James phones me - we agree a plan in 5 minutes - superb.
I looked at Royal Mails Postcode website - and their customer service number is 087x and 50 p per minute !!!.
No wonder PN achieve high scores in customer surveys

pierre_pierre
Grafter

well you could have used 08457 111 222 6-8pm weekdays, 9am-5.30pm Saturdays (Calls charged at local rates).
if in doubt try http://www.saynoto0870.com you might then find either a free number or a plain 01, 02 etc  (on PN home phone, these calls can be free - depending on home phone package)
But not in the case of Royal Mail, no one found one yet
Mal08
Rising Star

Well - we finally resolved it with the excellent help from PN - and finally getting a BT Business advisor who knew something about it - having had personal experience - and not through product training from within !!!.
So now the Order tracker says - "Good news! Broadband is available where you live. "  Wink  -
Your payment of £40.00 is now being taken. " !
well I don't actually live in the office - but that is being fussy - but maybe it should  word it differently now you are selling business services  Smiley
maybe "Good news! Broadband is available on your line"
Thanks again guys

James
Grafter

Great news Mal.
Glad you were able to sort things out.
Loombucket
Grafter

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
I've lost count of the number of times BT have mucked my customers about over this - their postcode database should rank alongside the Harry Potter novels as an excellent work of fiction.
They've even been known to refuse a broadband application on a line they've installed just a few weeks before, using a postcode supplied by BT themselves!
The only way round it is to ask BT what postcode THEY have for the line concerned and change your application to match it, regardless of how lunatic it appears.  Trust me, King Canute had better luck getting the sea to back off than you will getting BT to budge.   Roll_eyes
I've heard it said that BT's administrative structure is monolithic.  I think neolithic would be a more accurate term...

Mal08
Rising Star

I'm not defending BT - whatever reason they had the post code wrong must be lost in the mist of time - as the line had been on the premises probably since the days of the Post Office.
But to be fair - the property was not obviously on the Royal Mail database - no street number and no name of the building or organisation. We had no reason to check it until now, and the person who was in charge at the time post codes were assigned is no longer with us.
Having noticed it missing - I emailed Royal Mail Post Code section and they very efficiently checked it and added it to the database.
But BT will not find out until they get their next Postcode PAF database file undated.