cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Plus Net ADSL net blocks still registered as dial up?

msssltd
Grafter

Are Plus Net ADSL net blocks still registered as dial up?

Hi
I am currently putting a proposal together for a new client and have to recommend an ISP.
They have laid out various criteria having caught a costly cold with their ISP in the past.
One of these criteria is that the netblock (static subnet) they require is NOT registered with RIPE as a dial up range.
I know that PN Netblocks used to be report as dial up and various fun and games were needed to route mail, but is it still the case?
5 REPLIES 5
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Are Plus Net ADSL net blocks still registered as dial up?

Yes, it is still the case. You would need to smarthost email to problematic (all?) hosts through relay.plus.net to get around this.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

msssltd
Grafter

LOL.  As usual PN would have their customers carry the burden then.  Alternatively PN could change a couple lines in the netblock registration that gets returned by whois.
The problems with smart hosting through the PN relay is;
1. The customer loses traceablility.
2. The PN servers have established a poor reputation for reliability and spam scoring.
This is a business forum and it is the 21st Century Bob.  It is not beyond the wit of man to find an ISP willing to accept and assist a Small Business wishing to run a static server on an ADSL line.  I will have to advise PNs potential customer to go with an ISP that can accommodate  their requirements.
Thank you for answering the question.
adie:quote
Lurker
Grafter

I also have to face the choice of having all mail blocked by messagelabs customers (amongst others no doubt) by sending mail directly, or I have to relay mail through PN and run the risk that their relay will have picked up a poor reputation.
I know email is a gamble and an 'at best' service, but I agree with the OP that it could work a little better for not so much effort.
Unless I'm missing something?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: msssltd
LOL.  As usual PN would have their customers carry the burden then.  Alternatively PN could change a couple lines in the netblock registration that gets returned by whois.

Not all of our IPs are statically assigned. A lot of them are dynamic. To change the netname and registration information for individual IPs would prove to be an administrative nightmare. IP's can change and are frequently reassigned when ADSL customers upgrade/downgrade/cancel accounts etc.
IP assignment is wholly automated and managed by our CRM tools. The system was developed and has been built to assign IPs from pools containing netblocks that have already been registered with RIPE using common netname information etc.
The only scenario I can think of where this differs is where a customer requests a 16 block of IPs on a business account. These requests are processed manually and can be registered using your own netblock ID. Having said that, we wouldn't dole out 16 IP blocks simply to get around this problem, you'd need a legitimate reason for that number of IPs in the first place.
The only other scenario I can think of where this wouldn't present a problem is where a customer has a leased line with us.
The problems with smart hosting through the PN relay is;
1. The customer loses traceablility.

Fair point.
2. The PN servers have established a poor reputation for reliability and spam scoring.

They're not that bad!
This is a business forum and it is the 21st Century Bob.  It is not beyond the wit of man to find an ISP willing to accept and assist a Small Business wishing to run a static server on an ADSL line.  I will have to advise PNs potential customer to go with an ISP that can accommodate  their requirements.

Sorry to hear that, I've asked around to see if there's an easy way around these limitations but I've not had much luck I'm afraid  Sad
Quote from: James_G
I also have to face the choice of having all mail blocked by messagelabs customers (amongst others no doubt) by sending mail directly, or I have to relay mail through PN and run the risk that their relay will have picked up a poor reputation.

Why not smarthost only the mail for the messagelabs customers through our relays, AFAIK that's not outside the realms of possibility?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Lurker
Grafter

Its absolutely not Bob, but just as you have a preference for automation, so do I Cheesy
I find it surprising that you manually alter the info for blocks of IPs, but *can't* find a way to do it for single addresses.
Even if it were a chargeable event, I'd expect it would be worth a fiver [or more?] of our cash to have the info modified (and it ain't gonna take such a long time to do it is it?)
It's a non-issue for me either way really, but it is just another irritation that could potentially be removed.