cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 2+ roll out

batfastad
Grafter

Re: ADSL 2+ roll out

I really am keeping an eye on this. I have a home account with Be and I find the service absolutely brilliant, and the speeds are incredible.
But we simply cannot afford to be without internet access for several days whilst a migration takes place.
For our small business, the increase in upload speed will be a bonus. We run a small FTP server for clients to upload advertising artwork, as well a mail server which now has 5 remote workers connecting permanently.
I'm hoping that along with the ADSL 2+ roll-out next year, that PlusNet will also be enabling the annex m facility which allows you to optionally decrease download rate slightly, but gives you an increased upload rate.
moemoff
Grafter

I have BE & O2 at our exchange now.  I was hoping Plusnet would move a bit faster  on the ADSL2 front as we are desperate to get a higher upload speed than Max Premium  can provide. Not so worried about download speed but being stuck with 90k upload speed is hampering things badly as we undertake more photographic events. Try shifting 140mb of imgaes to 6 different FTP loacations and emailing them as well on 90k limits! Each takes 20 minutes or longer.
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

I guess that after the problems associated with a very optimistic set of timescales when ADSL max was introduced by BT, that Plusnet are being justifiably cautious with a roll-out of ADSL2+ Smiley
Following the trail of another well known ISP that has launched a limited ADSL2 service with BT is not good reading.  BT still has a number of major 'issues' in provisioning; testing and managing their ADSL service which has resulted in some delayed activation of exchanges whilst they resolve them.  In the EOD reports and blogs you can follow the track of where Plusnet are up to with trialling the new service.
I think that I would rather wait until the system is a little more reliable before the move?  Remember you can always recognise the pioneer - he's the guy with arrows in his back.  Cheesy
Maurice

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

moemoff
Grafter

Would that be BE or O2?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: moemoff
Would that be BE or O2?

Nope!  BE and O2 have their own LLU infrastructure at exchanges where they offer service.
Probably a bit unfair for me to quote competitors sites on a Plusnet forum.
M

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: MauriceC
Probably a bit unfair for me to quote competitors sites on a Plusnet forum.

Personally I think it's fine as long as you "play fair". Competitive information available to customers is a good thing.
There's a very interesting thread on the Be Members Forum about the relative merits of Be and PlusNet for gamers.
(confesses/reminds that I'm on Be LLU ADSL2+ at present ::))
techguy
Grafter

Just an idea to help  moemoff
Do you have access to a server hosted in a data centre facility with a high bandwidth connection (such as 100 Mbps)?
You could always FTP the files onto that then use remote desktop to FTP them elsewhere or is it a case that you must mail them?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: moemoff
we are desperate to get a higher upload speed than Max Premium  can provide

If you're looking at ADSL2+ you need to be careful as the benefits vary a lot with distance.
By default the likes of Be/O2 etc give a much faster upload speed than ADSL Max, typically about 1.2 or 1.3mbps and almost everyone will get this (or most of it). However the optional 2.5mbps upload only works well on shorter lines with downstream attenuation of around 30dB or less (not a precise figure). If you get above that what happens is that the frequencies (tones) are reserved for Upload but aren't really effective and are removed from the best part of the download range. The net result is a minimal increase in Upload speed and a very big hit on downloads.
techguy
Grafter

Yes ADSL 2+ does get very unstable over long distances (had that issue with O2) or if your wiring is below par.