cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 2+ roll out

aetos
Grafter

ADSL 2+ roll out

Hi, I have been contacted with a super new offer for Up to 24mb unlimited broadband for £22 per month as a certain company are to unbundle at my local exchange, compaired with the £30+ I  pay Plus Net for 8GB, this seems like a good deal.
Are there any plans for Plus net to roll out ASDL 2+?Huh
MArk
23 REPLIES 23
James
Grafter

Re: ADSL 2+ roll out

Hi Mark,
Whilst I'm not aware of our exact plans, I'm fairly certain that we will be rolling out wBC services once they become a "live" product.  We don't want to see a repeat of the initial problems encountered with Max by trying to be one of the first to offer it.
Mark
Grafter

Hi Mark
Does that provider offer award winning support and a dedicated Business team for that price? Smiley
As James said, we have plans to utilise the new services when they are fully launched and indeed bedded in (our initial experience of max DSL taught us a thing or two Smiley ) however we still have some work to do internally before we can make any announcment in this area.
aetos
Grafter

The provider in question is Be part of the O2 group, with full customer support and very attractive prices and speeds
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Before you jump ship (as I did only a few days ago) I suggest you check out what speeds you're likely to get. Obtain your downstream attenuation from your router and plug it in here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.htm
I moved because the higher speeds of ADSL2+ are really very useful to me, but as the Be forums show this can be at a price. There are many people there with disconnection issues or various types of instability. Investigation and resolution of some problems seems to be more difficult because of the different relationships with the various parts of BT, being a LLU service not including phone (so not like Talktalk).
My own line is rather variable (by up to 6dB SNRM during the day!), but I know how to take control and deal with it myself so I'm not one of the "whingers". So my stable download speed varies from about 15mbps to about 20mbps, and I can get more if I want. Upload is stable and adequate for me  at 1.2mbps so I don't need the optional (chargeable) 2.5mbps upload.
Their support seems reasonably OK, though based in Sofia (Bulgaria) it's responsive. They were very good and quick helping me configure my existing router to work on their service.
aetos
Grafter

Hi Bright Spark,
Thanks for the link
According to the calculator I should be able to get 17 to 20mb throughput
I would be interested to hear how you are getting on over the next while with BE
Be are due to be installing in my local exchange in July
PN have in the past been very poor at extending products or vairing them to suit the customer
I am on the old Teleworker pro which gives me 832 up load though capped with 8gb per month use, meaning that as I have 5 machines and 2 voip phones running I havve to restrict the kids streaming activities. For me to change to an unlimited product I would have to downgrade to 432 upload which (considering I run my own webservers) would be counter productive
BE look to be offering a supper package and at a price that is cheaper than my current one.
PN do not seem to value customer loyalty which is a comon trait now ( I am just a number......??)
Mark
HPsauce
Pro

Hi aetos,
So far I've been happy, though I can see many who aren't - generally the "less technical" sort who believe the 24mb sales pitch without thinking about it and/or can't be bothered to sort out their phone wiring (which can be vital).  Roll_eyes
I've had the odd "glitch" but nothing I can't deal with and I've been pushing things to the limit anyway. Currently on a stable 19.3mbps having pulled back from 21.5 as it was occasionally unstable.
But then I'm on a newly-connected exchange which I guess doesn't have many customers yet. There's no traffic management at all as far as I can see and some exchanges DO get overloaded.
But that's why I chose the package I did - I can leave by giving 3 months notice. Since then I've discovered that some leavers on cheaper packages (12-month contract, 8mbps max download) just upgrade then give notice ASAP  Grin
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: aetos
PN do not seem to value customer loyalty which is a comon trait now ( I am just a number......??)

Hmm, now that's NOT something I'd agree with; I think they're an awful lot better than most.
I'm leaving because they can't provide a service that their competitors do and is ideal for me. But if it doesn't deliver I'll be back!  Wink
Mark
Grafter

I am on the old Teleworker pro which gives me 832 up load though capped with 8gb per month use.

To be clear, you are on the PAYG product hence the 8 GB included usage. You aren't capped at that level but can pay for additional GB if required.
Have you looked at the current offerings, say Teleworker Premier?
I am not sure what you mean about varying the products or extending them to suit the customer?
What are your requirements or can you give me an idea of what you have asked us for in the past? I'm interested to see where we have let you down or not met your needs?
aetos
Grafter

Hi Mark,
thanks for the reply, I have looked at Teleworker but with a max upload of 432, it is of no use to me as I often push sites up to my own web servers and currently have 5 pc's and 2 pap connections running. My current upload is 700.
Yes I am the PAYG product but with 8mb included. Most months that is sufficient but as you can see at times I have exceeded it and it does start to expensive.
Any other offerings that PN are pushing are more exspensive that the curent offerings from other competitors for similar products.
eg look at Nildrams business pro package ! or they are wanting to degrade my connection.
I have been a PN customer for a number of years and in the past I have not minded paying a bit extra to get a better rated product.
I notice that on the options 2 you have increased the download amount from 8 to 15gb at no extra cost, why not do the same for business products already paying a premium price ?Huh
With regard to what I have asked for in the past is treatment on a similar scale to new customers ( one example inclusive minutes for VOIP ) I ended up having to go PAYG !
ctech500
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hi Mark,
Whilst I'm not aware of our exact plans, I'm fairly certain that we will be rolling out wBC services once they become a "live" product.  We don't want to see a repeat of the initial problems encountered with Max by trying to be one of the first to offer it.

As I recall it was more a marketing issue that caused the difficulties or was that when 2MB was rolled out, but that was in the past
My main concern is that there is a risk that the competition (ex.. Be O2 etc) may offer ADSL2+ before PlusNet  I just hope that you guys keep your fingers on the ADSL2"+ pulse.
Lloyd
HPsauce
Pro

Unfortunately it's not a risk, it's a fact. Tongue
If/when PlusNet are able to offer ADSL2+ in my area I'll consider very seriously coming back from Be.  Wink
Mark
Grafter

Hi all.
Couple of points I need to cover here Smiley
Our plans for ADSL2+ are covered in Neil's Plans for 2008/09 blog here Link
We were absolutely bitten badly with the Max rollout from a technology perspective and we learnt from that. We aren't rushing headlong into this new technology and we'll plan our approach very carefully. I think our colleagues at Enta are starting to see the first pain from the curent trials and we know how that feels from bitter past experience.
@Mark (aetos)
I fully acknowledge that our business products have not had the level of attention and focus they deserve but this is something I am currently addressing as part of my new role. We have many plans and ideas but nothing I can share with you just yet Smiley Watch this space for news!
In terms of your requirements for faster upload, I am more than happy to discuss a Max Premium addition for you to any of our Biz products (at a nominal cost of course Smiley ). Just drop me a pm and I'll get in touch.

Yes I am the PAYG product but with 8mb included.

Not sure what you mean there but I'm happy to look at options for you.

Moderators Note by Roger (rogerloxton) : Fixed URL Tag

aetos
Grafter

Mark,
Thanks for your help earlier, much appreciated
MArk
Mark
Grafter

Absolute pleasure Mark.
Thanks for fixing the url Roger Smiley