cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0.00 speed after move, plusnet says too bad, don['t care if i am out of business for 10 days, awful

ovc

0.00 speed after move, plusnet says too bad, don['t care if i am out of business for 10 days, awful

Had business broadband at the old office

Closed the office so moved it to my house, where Plusnet took over what used to be a Sky line. When it was a sky line until last Wednesday it worked perfectly fine, we didn't have issues with speed.

Wednesday Plusnet came on and also worked, so it did Thursday.

Friday afternoon is basically shut off. Internet is 1990's dialup style. I connected my desktop via ethernet cable to the router, did speed tests obsessively both on the Pc and the laptop,  showing always 0.00 download (upload seems within norm). 

PC showed 8 mbps once and laptop 12 mbps once but I think those were gltches, for all practical purtposes there is no Internet. 

Called Plusnet just now, they were VERY rude, told me there is nothing anyone is going to do for TEN DAYS -- do you peopel understand this being a business like that I am still tyring to run a business/?? HOW MUCH WILL YOU PAY TO ME TO COMPENSATE FOPR PUTTING ME OUT OF BUSINESS for ten days???

We are not talking SPEED we are talking NO FUNCTIONAL INTERNET at all, I have to sit wait for this forum page to load!!!

Who is this rude, ignorant, uninformed customer service person to decide I can't have internet for ten days?!

I am complaining to Ofcom you ought to be somehow disqualified from providing business services with this attitude. 

I assume failure to provide broadband will enable me to terrminate contract. 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Topic moved to business board.

6 REPLIES 6
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: 0.00 speed after move, plusnet says too bad, don['t care if i am out of business for 10 days, aw

Hi a warm welcome to the forums. This is really sad to hear - I rather fear you must have got a not so experienced agent. There is a massive difference between not getting optimal speeds and getting no speed.

There are a few things you can check for yourself. Do you have dial tone? Is the phone line quiet? Is it the right number - dial 17070 option 2.

What synch speed does the router report? Can you post the xdsl stats from the router here please?

@Gandalf has anyone done a CLT in this circuit or has the user just had the ‘nothing to do for 10 days shrug of shoulders’?

If this is Vdsl the then 10 day rule for the line to ‘settle down’ simply does not apply.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Re: 0.00 speed after move, plusnet says too bad, don['t care if i am out of business for 10 days, aw

PS: It would do no harm to report a broadband fault using the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're experiencing speed problems.

Our tests aren't finding any issues and we can see your router is in sync at 14mbps.

Are your devices connecting over WiFi or straight to the router using an ethernet cable?

If you're using WiFi, would you be able to try a wired connection? This will help narrow down where the problem lies. If your speed is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, can you run a BT speedtest at http://www.speedtest.btwholesale.com using a wired connection, completing the further diagnostics at the end? This will store the result on the supplier system and will help us in reporting a fault to our suppliers.

EDIT: Re-reading your post I see you've tried a wired connection.

Let us know when you've completed the further diagnostics of the BT speedtest.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
ovc

Hi all

Sorry for now replying

It  all fixed itself a few hours after I called/posted here - and the only thing that happened before it started to act normal, was that I received an email telling me that my  move order was complete.

Maybe that was somehow the issue (I did notice that on my dashboard it was still showing old number as the number where service was provided, although the ignorant phone rep said that had not made a difference).

Clearly it was making a difference, somehow for 3 days after the move was completed, Plusnet still did not realise that it was completed.  But after I received that email saying your move order is complete, which came on Saturday after all these posts)) . I started to have normal speeds.

Else it must have been something one of you did when poking around??))

I have a decent speed now. 

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,

I can envisage a scenario which could have lead to this exact experience...

1. Does this account have a fixed IP address?
  2. Was the service at the old (business premises) slower than you had with Sky at home?

For fixed IP address users, the PN speed profile continues to 'moderate' the data throughput speed.  It updating can take time.  If the profile for the old property was lower than that for the line at home, it is possible that BT updates (if fed to Plusnet) did not get applied to your account initially.

I believe that I am correct in saying the update process needs the right phone number to be associated with the account.  I'm sure that if I am wrong, some one will clarify! Cheesy

Please to hear that you are sorted.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Glad to hear this is resolved now.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet