cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

your high speed broadband service - value changed

martin2006
Grafter

your high speed broadband service - value changed

hopefully jamesH can answer this for me as he is a broadband legend and sorted this out before, i had loads of trouble in the past trying to sort my sync speed and managed to get it sorted after weeks and weeks. i have a good connection speed and runs at  up to around 6700 kbps, but i was having trouble earlier today and checked my sync speed on the plusnet connection settings and noticed it has dropped from 8000 to 7150 kbps. i am not sure if this figure has any relevance or is just a manually inputted figure as my bt speed test seems to be running around the same for connection and line profile. my broadband speed test on namesco was running at 4500 earlier today and i havent seen it this low for a long time.
i am on the premium gaming connection thingy and i am only just up the road from the exchange before i get moaned at by people with a 2mb connection.
my yahoo pop3 accounts have suddenly stopped working on outlook as well  but i should probably post this somewhere else
any help would be much appreciated
many thanks
Andy Undecided
17 REPLIES 17
geewizz
Grafter

Re: your high speed broadband service - value changed

Quote from: martin2006

i am on the premium gaming connection thingy and i am only just up the road from the exchange before i get moaned at by people with a 2mb connection.

Too late!
You're bloody lucky! I DREAM of 2 Mbps speeds. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of one of those dreams and find the front of my pyjama trousers is moist.
martin2006
Grafter

lol, wha did the sensored word begin with, just for the record incase its a word i havent heard before
andy Grin
artificer
Grafter

bound to involve a king and probably mentions that chinese chap fu.
martin2006
Grafter

i have heard a lot about him recently on the olympics
geewizz
Grafter

Just for the record, it was the very innocent adjective pertaining to blood.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

… and, the answer to the original question is that the 8000 kbps High-speed Broadband setting on the website has always really been 7150 kbps, the maximum IP Profile that BT assign for an 8128 kbps sync. So basically nothing has changed, it just says 7150 kbps now.
David
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: spraxyt
… and, the answer to the original question is that the 8000 kbps High-speed Broadband setting on the website has always really been 7150 kbps, the maximum IP Profile that BT assign for an 8128 kbps sync. So basically nothing has changed, it just says 7150 kbps now.

I would say interleaving been switched on mine dropped from 8128 to 7150 when it was activated
puddy
James
Grafter

No Puddy - This isn't about sync speeds.
The 8000 & 7150Kbps profiles are the same.  7150Kbps is the highest BT profile, so we just mirror this.
Andy - That shows nothing wrong with your profiling.
martin2006
Grafter

thanks Guys, i stopped getting email notifications so didnt think anyone had replied, i just flapped, i have checked everything this end and all is fine as far as router settings and connection speeds etc, you can tell i dont know the proper words to use, but the numbers relating to the flashing box thing under the whatsit seem ok, the bt speed test comes back fine and the good news the connection speeds are back up to around 6800 kbps. must have just been busy or somethig.
now i do have another question which you may want me to start a new thread but i mainly use my connection for online gaming, mostly Battlefield 2, and wondered if there is anything i can do to improve my ping as a lot of the servers are overseas. my mate up the road gets pings of around 20, where as i get anything from around 30 at lowest and up to 80 for even relatively local servers. we are both on plusnet, and again to nip the comments in the bud, i am a sad individual who is obsessed with numbers and immature pc based activities. Embarrassed
many thanks
Andy
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I assume you currently have interleaving on. For those on dodgy lines this can help with connection instability problems.
Since you are close to the exchange line stability is unlikely to be a problem for you so requesting that interleaving be turned off should reduce your pings to the circa 20ms level you mention your friend has. You can request interleaving be turned off by raising a ticket, or by clicking the icon in the website Connection Settings folder if there is one.
David
martin2006
Grafter

cheers spraxyt, i have a feeling that we switched it off when i had poor connection speeds before and i went through a load of things with jamesh, including replacing all my hardware and cables etc and has been a really fast connection ever since, can i tell from my router status page, i copied this and interleaving shows as 0 but not sure if that means it is off. also i think the broadband package i am on is a gaming specific package and is supposed to give lower pings although as you can tell from earlier posts i have some information and knowledge although not always in the right places.
Modem Status
Connection Status  Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)  448
Ds Rate (Kbps)  8128
US Margin  25
DS Margin  11
Trained Modulation  ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors  0
DS Line Attenuation  63
US Line Attenuation  17
Peak Cell Rate  1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast  667
CRC Tx Fast  42
CRC Rx Interleaved  0
CRC Tx Interleaved  0
Path Mode  Fast Path

DSL Statistics
Near End F4 Loop Back Count  0
Near End F5 Loop Back Count  0
many thanks
Andy Crazy

spraxyt
Resting Legend

Quote from: martin2006
Modem Status
Connection Status   Connected
Us Rate (Kbps)   448
Ds Rate (Kbps)   8128
US Margin   25
DS Margin   11
Trained Modulation   ADSL_G.dmt
LOS Errors   0
DS Line Attenuation   63
US Line Attenuation   17
Peak Cell Rate   1056 cells per sec
CRC Rx Fast   667
CRC Tx Fast   42
CRC Rx Interleaved   0
CRC Tx Interleaved   0
Path Mode   Fast Path

Yes, you already have interleaving off, your stats say Fast Path (red text) which means that. Having CRC errors against Fast but zero against Interleaved confirms that.
One anomaly in the stats is that they say Downstream Line Attenuation is 63dB. If that were true you would be syncing around 2Mbps and not the 8Mbps you have. Has your router always reported that figure - it makes me wonder if the router is a little dodgy?
David
martin2006
Grafter

there are no flies on you blokes, when i had the original discussions with james he picked up on that figure as well, it has always been high but i am not sure why, it is a relatively new router which i got when i replaced my cables and faceplate. could it be causing me any problems? my connection is solid as a rock and unless i turn off my router it always stays connected, i lose connection in bf2 sometimes but i think that is down to the server not my connection.
the other question i was going to ask was is there a ping test i can do to see if my ping is high in bf2 cos of the servers i am on, i know my mate used to ping the bbc or something to test his.
thanks for you help
Andy Huh
spraxyt
Resting Legend

I think the DS Attenuation is probably about 7dB, and I believe some routers record this as "unknown" (for reasons best known to the firmware writers) . It gets reported as 63 because of the way the value is stored. The important bit is I don't think it matters.
You can do a ping by opening a command window (Start->Run… type in cmd then click OK) and enter ping www.bbc.co.uk (or, of course, a different domain) at the chevron prompt. Enter exit to close the window.
David