cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

would fibre fix the disconnections?

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

would fibre fix the disconnections?

ah, so when i get an incoming phonecall or make a phonecall going out, around 40% of the time, the internet drops completley. The internet light doesnt go red, but the whole sync light switches off completley, i get a shiny new IP address and yeah its generally annoying.
im looking to go to fibre in the next month, would this fix it? I had the disconnect problem ages ago and it just goes away itself?!
thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: would fibre fix the disconnections?

Have you tried changing the microfilters that the phone(s) are connected through, this can be a sympton of a faulty filter.
FTTC install does include a new (fully filtered) faceplate.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As walker23 says the fibre install engineer will fit a new faceplate that should fix the issue though it may be down to a faulty microfilter or possibly even a faulty phone. If it's the latter you could possibly try double filtering the phone to see if that helps, or if possible try using another handset?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Yep I considered the faulty phone thing and faulty microfilter thing but I haven't got any to test with as yet. Ordered a temporary new phone from amazon and a new microfilter. Should arrive tomorrow and il post back.
Only reason I wanted to know is I'm getting fibre installed at the end of the month hopefully, if it could fix it, I'd get it installed earlier lol.
I would of thought it would fix it as the Internet would be provided from the fibre cab and voice from the the other one, eliminating the exchange if there was a fault down the line past the cab.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Not so!
At the fibre cabinet, the optics are converted to wires.
You receive a special "Fibre" signal over copper from your normal cabinet.
They are being economical with the truth when they say "Broadband over Fibre".  Cheesy
I believe your voice still goes the full distance to the exchange - not sure about that though.
(At least I hope that is the case).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Testing whether the phone is a problem is easy - I know because I did it - Disconnect the phone and ring in with a mobile.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Ah evil fox, "Broadband over Fibre" should be like "Broadband over Fibre..ish"  Grin
I think it would fix it as the broadband wouldnt be on the ENTIRE length of the line.. I was considering reporting this as a fault but getting fibre installed near the 20-30th of June, there isn't a point I dont think. What I thought is that the internet starts from the new fibre, theres a link between the old and new cabinets, and the voice is sent to the old cab with internet to the new  Huh

Just mildly annoying, I have people phone me requesting technical support via Remote Desktop Connection and then the connection just bottles out when im talking  Sad
(Sorry if that didnt make sense, its quite warm in london & its affecting me abit lol)
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Testing whether the phone is a problem is easy - I know because I did it - Disconnect the phone and ring in with a mobile.

crickey didnt think of this  Embarrassed
shall try later on tonight, if that causes the sync to drop when in the test socket, im guessing its a line issue.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

or a duff filter but the line fault would be favourite