cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wished I had gone to Virgin

joeboy
Dabbler

wished I had gone to Virgin

Done all the test that PN say to do but still quicker to use the Royal Mail than PN. Might even be worth losing the £68 to change before the 12 months are up. I got faster broadband speed when I lived in  3 world country.
Joeboy
8 REPLIES 8
Mark
Grafter

Re: wished I had gone to Virgin

Hi joeboy.
Firstly, sorry to hear you're having problems. Would you mind providing a little more info about the nature of the problem. It would also be very helpful if you'd describe how your router is connected to the phone line and extremely helpful if you could post some stats from your router.
If you can also post up a ticket ID, that'll help understand where we're up to with the investigation.
Mark
joeboy
Dabbler

Hi Mark
Just done a 3rd speed test now on the test socket as per the PN help and support. Not got above 475kps on download and 312 kps on upload.Can't watch youtube or any video clips as life is to short  waiting for it to download in fits and starts. The router is next to the phone socket and connected to the splitter as per usual. I did try a Belkin router but still no faster with that. I will be honest  and say I wish I had gone with Virgin as there is a socket in the house. I use to live in Eastern Europe and there speeds where far faster than I am getting here, and there website (T-Com) was not full of tips for slow/bad/dropped connections.
Joeboy
joeboy
Dabbler

here is the stats for my router

DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 364 / 664
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 363 / 616
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/MB]: 729.00 / 2.04
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 14.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 49.0 / 77.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 7.0 / 9.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 100 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 196,614 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 196,618 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 44
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 32 / 2
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 7 / NA
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

77.5 dB is a massive downstream attenuation.  If that really is down to your phone line and not some bad connection then you'll never get a decent broadband speed.  If you have the option of Virgin cable as an alternative, switch to that!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi joeyboy,
I've just picking this up from where Mark left things with you on Saturday. The way you have this set up is fine by the sounds of it. However I'd be interested to hear if you have any phones or anything else connected to other sockets in the house. If you do let me know as it would be worth me running some tests with your equipment connected to the engineers test socket (assuming your socket has this - http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/bbfaults/master_socket_testing.shtml)
I can see that you did go through the fault checker so I'll make sure we look at that ASAP. Please bear in mind in the vast majority of cases we can resolve faults like this so I'll make sure we do our bit as fast as we can and keep you updated.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
joeboy
Dabbler

Hi Adam no other socket in the house. Took the front of the master and run from the test socket.
Joeboy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Downstream attenuation 77.5dB - cable available.
Absolute no brainer!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Joeboy,
I've ran some more checks and I'm getting attenuation of 76.3dB, this is a seriously long line so I'm afraid we're not going to be able to improve the speeds you currently get.
Jojo Smiley