Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireshark or tracert

techguy
Grafter

wireshark or tracert

Hi
Just for future reference, if I'm reporting a network as opposed to ADSL speed issue, is a tracert or wireshark more helpful?
To be honest I'd never heard of wireshark until reading some of the threads on here under the gamers forum but have started to tinker with it.
2 REPLIES 2
ramidoodle
Grafter

Re: wireshark or tracert

Ello
hmm, good question!! I would say depends on what you want to log.
Trace Router basically pings every single hop to the destination Hostname/IP so you can find out the delay time for each hop all the way to the specified Hostname/IP. to sum, it will let you now where the bottleneck. helpful when you are unable to access a website, server... etc.
With Wireshark, captures all TCP/IP traffic including in away that helps you analyse them. it logs the inbound and outbound IP and port which is really helpful for security analysis. I only using it for identifying the priority of a specific connection between 2 nodes on PlusNet traffic management system. So I'm only a basic user for it lol
what are you planning diagnose?
techguy
Grafter

Re: wireshark or tracert

I started to tinker with it after reading about it on here (in conjunction with the warhammer issues) along with the fact I'm kicking off a Cisco course next year in the hope of moving away from desktop support and making myself a little more versatile in terms of emplyment (whatever happens with operating systems and desktop hardware, telecoms and network config skills are always going to be required)
So I loaded wireshark to look at the packet internals and am always keen to help out in cases like yesterday where PN suffered those network problems so was wondering which is more helpful to post if reporting a network speed as opposed to an ADSL issue, a tracert, wireshark output or both?