cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless-no address

sandgrounder

wireless-no address

I am having trouble with internet connection on my fairly new Asus laptop. It has never been great, but recently became very sporadic & then non existant. I contacted Asus & they suggested updating the drivers for the built in card (Atheros AR5006eg) & making sure it was set for 802.11b & g.) I found out it doesn't have g. none of this worked. So I decided to disable this card & get a Netgear WG111 wireless usb adapter. which I duly got & installed but it still doesn't work but I do get more info with the Netgear software telling me that i get a signal strength of between 62 & 80 %. When I can't connect I get a 'limited of no connectivity' message & the info that the network did not assign a network address to the computer.
I am sure that there is something simple that I need to do, but I don't know what.
Any ideas?
Cheers
Les
11 REPLIES 11
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: wireless-no address

What are you trying to connect to - make and model?
Not applicable

A common problem is an incorrectly entered wireless key.
If you mistype it, it will fail to authenticate you and issue your notebook with an IP address, but won't necessarily tell you that there is a problem with the password (as you'd reasonably expect)
First thing I'd try would be to try reconnecting to the wireless network, typing the passkey/word/phrase carefully to ensure its exactly right.
Another thing to consider is the DHCP server on your router.
Easiest was to restart it (sometimes the service used to corrupt on my DG834GT) by powering down the router, waiting a short while, then restoring power.
If DHCP isn't running, you'd have to assign valid details manually, but the default configuration for virtually every wireless ADSL modem/router is to use DHCP.
Any help?
paulby
Grafter

@sandgrounder
When you can't connect are you resuming from a hibernate or stand-by state (for example, you've shut the lap-top lid and are continuing by re-opening it)?
If this is the case, this is a fairly common problem!  You need to right click on the wireless icon in the task bar and click "repair" (assuming you've got Xp).  That should re-establish the connection.  (If the icon, which looks like a TV screen with some waves coming out of it, isn't there you'll need to go to Control Panel> Network Connections and right click on the connection there.)
sandgrounder

Thanks for the replies.
Paul,  it's not a hibernate prob, & repair does'nt work.
James, I've set up a couple of profiles both with the correct wireless key. I had another look at my router (BT Voyager 2500v-cd) & noticed that the security is 128bts & the profiles I set for the adapter were 64bts. So I thought that I would set up another one at 128bts, but when putting the hex key in I found that I couldn't type 'y'.  I am sure that it let me do it previously in 64 bts but when I try it now it won't let me do it in that either.. Strange. Sorry James I have no idea what DHCP is, the only reference that I can find on my Voyager documentation is in relation to an Apple Mac.
HP, The router is a BT Voyager 2500V-CD The onboard wireless adapter ( which I have disabled) is an Atheros AR5007Eg & the new USB one is a Netgear WG111v3 54mps.
Cheers
Les
Not applicable

If the router is wanting a 128 bit key, and your computer is only sending it a 64bit key, then the symptoms you describe are as I'd expect.
You computer can locate the router and make a hardware level connection, but it can't get to the stage where it can pass useful data, as it isn't giving the correct passkey.
It sounds to me as if you are using the Netgear application to try to connect to the network.
Its not the most user-friendly interface in my experience.
I'd be very tempted to remove the Netgear application (don't worry, the drivers will still be there, and you can use the windows built in application to connect instead)
This way is much more intuitive, and when it asks you for the passphrase (the first time you connect) it chooses the correct type of key which is required, thus making it harder to make a mistake.
You could also copy the key into a text file whilst connected to your router via a cable, then when prompted you could do a copy and paste job with the key again to be sure.

Don't worry about DHCP - it the method used for automatically assigning network addresses to computers which connect to your router. By default its turned on, and if you've never heard of it, you can be fairly confident its still on, and its not the cause of your problem.
sandgrounder

Thanks James, that did the trick.  :)I originally used the Netgear software because I read this on a review at eBuyer. "This adapter was set up in 5mins and the netgear wireless software is much better than the windows wireless manager. Also the netgear you can net up different profiles for different locations so you could have one profile for home and one profile for an internet hotspot or your offices wireless network".
Cheers
Les
Not applicable

Glad it worked.
I can see what they are saying, but sadly like a lot of software, the extra capability detracts from the useability for many folks.
As with everything, YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary) and it comes down to personal preferences.

sandgrounder

I spoke too soon :'(, It worked great until I switched of & then on again & it's back to square 1.  I uninstalled & reinstalled the netgear adapter, but I can't seem to install it without the software (i'm a bit of a divvie). Anyway windows configuration or not i'm back to Limited or no connectivity again. I'm not sure how to connect to the router by cable as i'm not sure which cable among the jumble of bits i've aquired & where to put it.
Cheers
Les
sandgrounder

Gawd arn't computers odd? Rebooted again still off, fiddled a bit, rebooted, still off, repaired connection, working again Smiley How long for Huh
Cheers
les
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

There isn't any other wireless devices in range that are using the same channel are there?  I've seen this produce some strange before now.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

sandgrounder

There are, but i don't think they are interfeering. My PC is no trouble & it's on the same desk.
Cheers
Les