Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless has died

painterpete
Dabbler

wireless has died

my wireless is not working. 
I have a plusnet router connected to my tower unit by cable which is operating OK. However my notebook currently actually touching the router is showing only SKY9058 as the only available wireless network. I have tried phoning Help & Support on both numbers  on several occasions but am not prepared to wait the 10 to 20 minutes which are the announced waiting times. Where do I go from here?
6 REPLIES 6
picbits
Rising Star

Re: wireless has died

On some routers, there is a switch to enable or disable the wireless - double check yours hasn't been disabled.
You may also have issues with devices too close to the router - it overloads the signal on the receiving device so worth a double check.
Lastly, wireless can be disabled or enabled on many routers by logging on and changing the settings - again worth a double check.
I'm afraid I can't be specific with the PN router as I don't use one but I'm sure someone else may have more of an idea than me on that one Smiley
Anonymous
Not applicable

It might be worth changing the wireless channel (on the router),  just in case your existing wireless channel is being drowned out by an interfering signal from somewhere else.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you don't mention if you did anything with the router prior to loosing connectivity or how long you have had it running for, its possible a reboot will cure the problem, but if you wernt making any changes ot the router its also possible its developing a fault.
once you've tried the basic's (login and check its operating as required) and theres still no wifi
your next port of call is login to the member center and create a faults ticket (help and support button) once that's done modify the title of the thread to include a ticket number and one of the team will probably contact you to help sort the problem out Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

On some routers, there is a switch to enable or disable the wireless - double check yours hasn't been disabled.
If you have the current PN router(TG582n) then there is a Wireless LED that is also a button to enable/disable. If the LED (and therefore wireless) is off then a short press will turn it on. When on, a long press (hold until it turns off) will turn it off.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

painterpete
Dabbler

to Mrw from Painterpete.
Thanks, it's now working again.Doesn't one feel really stupid when the problem was as simple as switching it on!  I knew there was a power switch on the back  but my less than brilliant eyesight hadn't spotted the wi-fi switch in the black strip on the front.. It must have been depressed when lifting the router from it's wall mounting.
painterpete
Dabbler

to nanotm, purleigh and picbits from painterpete,
THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES, please see my reply  to mrw