cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless connected but can't browse internet

maryhsprout

wireless connected but can't browse internet

Hello, Has anyone a solution to my problem ? Everything works fine wired. When the wire is diconnected my laptop tells me i have excellent wireless connectivity but internet explorer/google can't access anything on the internet. My IPAD manages just fine.
Where is the problem and how can i solve it?
Cheers
Mary
4 REPLIES 4
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: wireless connected but can't browse internet

Forget the network on the computer and connect again. Does this work? If not turn the router off then back on again, does this work? Try using the wired connection again. Does this work?
If poss can you post your line stats on?
Jamie
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Bright
Grafter

Hi Mary,
It sounds like some sort of issue between your laptop and the router when using wifi. Can you access the router's own management page? To do that (from the laptop on wifi) type the address 192.168.1.254 (that's the normal default router address used by Plusnet, I think) into the address bar of your web browser and hit return. You should get prompted to enter a username and password by the router. If you get that, then you have wireless connectivity from the laptop to the router. If you don't then there is a problem with the wifi connection to the router. As Jamie suggests, you could try deleting the router's wifi network on your laptop and setting it up again.
If your iPad works fine then clearly there isn't a fundamental problem with the wifi network, router or your broadband connection.
Let us know how you get on.
mseries
Grafter

If you can access your routers admin page as above then it's likely that your settings in your compute are not right for access the internet. Some of mine don't get all the settings from the router automatically so I need to configure them manually. You probably need to set the IP address of the DNS (212.159.6.9), the Gateway (your router) and the subnet. Once you find the page on your computer for this it'll become clearer. Without knowing what OS you are using it's hard to be more specific, look for the network setting in your wireless card (interface)
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi maryhsprout,
Did you manage to try any of the above?