cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wireless broadband connection problems

hilaryandpaul

wireless broadband connection problems

Hello
Could someone help advise me on how to fix my wireless broadband internet connection? I have an ADSL2 router and was happily using the internet for a number of months until something went wrong and the laptop was unable to identify any wireless networks in range. After some tweaking with the laptop I discovered that the wireless switch had been turned off. Once it is switched on the laptop can identify networks in range. When you click on View Wireless networks is states it is connected to H&P which is what I called the network and the strength of the connection is excellent. However, I cannot access the internet.
When you open Network Connections it is connected and again is excellent. The Local Area Connection states it is "not connected". and a network cable unplugged. I have tried to reset the router and access the router by 192.168.1.1 but the quick setup guide for the router does not seem to work either- it states that it cannot find available PVCs and one needs to be set manually. The diagnostics of the router says that the "test authentication with ISP failed" and the "Test the assiged IP address failed". Is the problem that the IP addresses do not match? If so how do I make sure they do? ANy help with this matter is greatly appreciated!
Thank you
Hilary
15 REPLIES 15
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: wireless broadband connection problems

Have you checked the security of the wireless connection is still set up correctly?
This sounds like it's not using the encryption key correctly. Might be worthwhile removing the wireless network from your laptop and setting it up again.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
James
Grafter

Are you actually able to connect to the internet at all?
My concern would be that the authentication failed message is suggesting that you just have your password entered incorrectly into your router.  I haven't seen any connection attempts from you in the last seven days.
hilaryandpaul

James- I am not able to connect to the internet at all. When you say I possibly "have [the] password entered incorrectly into" the router, at what point would I be asked to do this. I am unable to access the quick setup on the router as it says it "cannot find avilable PVCs" and I may have to do this manually. I don't know what that means. I recall inputting the password orginally later in the quick setup.
Re connection attempts in the last 7 days- I've been on holiday!
Chris- I think when I reset the router the security was reset too. So the connection states that it is currently unsecured. How would I check?
Thank you both for your help. I apologise for my lack of IT knowledge!
Chris
Legend

What kind of router are you using? You will normally need to browse to the router set up page and follow the on screen instructions, have a look here to see if your hardware is listed.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hilaryandpaul

The router is ASUS ADSL2+ and doesn't appear to be on the list you provided.
James
Grafter

It sounds like something that's been rebranded.  Do you have an instruction manual anywhere?
Basically, your wireless sounds like it's working fine.  Your computer is able to connect to the router (the gateway to the internet), but the router isn't connecting to the outside world.
What I think you will need to do is to do a factory reset.  there should be a little pin sized hole on the back of your router which you will need to hold down for 15 seconds and then you'll need to setup your router again.
I'll have a quick hunt around and see if I can find any guides.
Chris
Legend

Does it say the model number anywhere? I've found 14 different Asus routers :S
Looking through a few of them they appear to be similar in setup so here goes:-
browse to 192.168.1.20
click Configuration
click Basic Settings
enter your broadband connection details and apply
Other than that I'd have to advise digging out the manual Sad
hilaryandpaul

Thanks I'll go and try that. I'll let you know if anything changes later on this afternooon.
Hilary
hilaryandpaul

I've rebooted/reset the router a number of times and each time I am able to create a wireless network which the laptop identifies and says the connection is excellent but is still not able to connect to the internet. Could it be that the IP addresses do not match? How do I check if this is the problem? could there be anything specifc about the laptop settings that need to be configured in order for the router to connect and talk to the laptop?
Thanks
James
Grafter

Hi,
As I mentioned earlier, this is because your computer is connecting to the router, but the router is not connecting to the internet.
To me, it sounds like you need to reconfigure the router as Chris suggested how to earlier.  Did you manage to get into the router configuration panel and apply your settings?
hilaryandpaul

I think that is what i did. I accessed it through192.168.1.1 and it took me through a procedure. I added ISP my username and password. Gave the SSID a name, several times. but i was still unable to connect.
Chris's suggestion of 192.168.1.20 did not work.
Perhaps I am not doing something correct within the configuration pages. I did not change the IP address it had assigned.
James
Grafter

Thanks for that.
You're still not actually connecting to the internet itself.  Can you double check the cabling from your router to the phone socket and just make sure no cables have become loose or anything like that?
Also, if you could tell me what the lights on the front of your router are doing, that would be really helpful.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Just asking in case it's relevant.
Has the complete Internet login "username-based" string been entered on the router?  This is (portal) username@<vISP dependent string>, not just the portal username.
David
hilaryandpaul

Lights: When the laptop is on and it says that it is connected the "AP" light is on continuously, the "Link" light is also on continuously and the "Act" light blinks. With the ethernet cable in Lan1 the light on Lan 1 is on continuously.
Re the Internet login "username-based string, I think I know what you mean, ie "username@ISP.com" for example? Yes. Thanks