cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wire;ess connection problems

alycat

wire;ess connection problems

I've got a technicolor TG582n from plusnet that connects fine to my smartphone but won;t connect at all to my laptop (Lenovo thinkpad sl500, running XP and using thinkvantage access connections intel(R) wireless wifi link 5100 to connect to the internet).
The ethernet cable can get a connection to my laptop fine, and works perfectly, but the router doesn't even seem to register that an attempt at a wireless connection is being made. The laptop "sees" the plusnet router and attempts to connect but doesn't get further than trying to form an association.
Any help would be much appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: wire;ess connection problems

If your laptop wireless adaptor is too old then it may not be capable of the WPA2 wireless security protocol that a modern router will use by default.  It might help to update your version of XP to Service Pack 3 if you haven't already done this.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I never liked my access connections on my Lenovo. I just disabled it and used windows instead. I'd try that first and see how you get on. I'd also try changing the encryption to WPA rather than WPA2 Smiley
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

I have had an issue simular to this but with a HP C4380 printer, I changed my wireless access point to support B and G protocols only and this resolved the issue. I'm not bothered about N protocol.
Dan.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Good call, worth giving that a go too Smiley
community
Grafter

I have a similar, but different, problem with my router, the thomson v7 one.
I have just bought a new Smartphone , t- mobile rapport, and I cannot get it to use the router for logging on to the internet.
It goes through all the actions of connecting briefly, then disconnecting and looks for the IP address....after several attempts it does not succeed, so I cannot use the router on my new smartphone.
Anyone any suggestions?
thanks.
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,
I have issues with Nindendo devices like this; I would suggest you setup your phone with a fixed IP address and not rely on DHCP from the router. Make sure you use an IP address outside the DCHP address pool.
You will need to setup IP address, default gateway and DNS addresses in  network settings, this assumes you can manually setup network settings.
Dan.
James
Grafter

Quote from: community
I have a similar, but different, problem with my router, the thomson v7 one.
I have just bought a new Smartphone , t- mobile rapport, and I cannot get it to use the router for logging on to the internet.
It goes through all the actions of connecting briefly, then disconnecting and looks for the IP address....after several attempts it does not succeed, so I cannot use the router on my new smartphone.
Anyone any suggestions?
thanks.

I have the same problem at my parents house.  For some reason (which I couldn't work out) my laptop wouldn't connect to my parents wireless network unless I turned off the security.  Every often devices does though!
Sorry this isn't much of a solution!
jim:green quote fixed mod:end
community
Grafter

Quote from: Dan
Hi,
I have issues with Nindendo devices like this; I would suggest you setup your phone with a fixed IP address and not rely on DHCP from the router. Make sure you use an IP address outside the DCHP address pool.
You will need to setup IP address, default gateway and DNS addresses in  network settings, this assumes you can manually setup network settings.
Dan.

Thanks for your input Dan
I'm afraid I do not know how to "setup an IP address,default gateway and DNS in 'network settings'....it IS possible with my t-mobile smartphone to set something up manually.
If I can get a read of how then I am willing to try your hint.
cheers
community
Grafter

@ all who gave suggestions..thanks but
I have solved the problem with the aid of my grandson!....
cheers.
Pheasantplucker
Grafter

Hi everyone, Just a quick post on here to see if anyone has had any speed drop issues after using the Vodafone sure signal. I only ask because since i moved my sure signal box a couple of feet away from the router downstream speeds have got a bit better.
Richard