cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will plusnet bring out new router for fibre?

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: will plusnet bring out new router for fibre?

That's an interesting idea.
From what I've seen they're little over £100?
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Ive been on the lookout for a decent vdsl router for a while.  My budget was circa £100 and up until Zyxel released the VMG8324 nothing in the UK market ticked all my boxes.
Here are some of my requirements

• GbE Swtich  <---------  lacking on too many routers

• Full & uncrippled access to CLI for advanced users.

• QoS

• SNMP

• Parental Controls (not essential for me but this is a area to consider for a large portion of customers)

• USB

• 802.11ac wireless would be good, but I understand that this could be cost prohibitive. Sad  

The following is a personal preference, but very worthwhile in view of the dsl performance

• BCM chipset (to get advanced stats) - preferably the BCM63168 with the 039 adsl_phy.  
    Everyone thats tried it so far has seen an improved sync speed and stability.  Ranging from 1Mb -10Mb over the HG612 modem.  I got an additional 3.5 Max sync

The  the ZyXel VMG8324-B10A only wireless n though which may not satisfy some, but I find it fine as it covers a previous dead spot and reaches the bottom of my garden.   If only ZyXel could get their act together with the firmware, although this may not bother plusnet as presumably they would opt for the custom firmware like Eirecom have.  If you want wireless_ac then youd have to step up to the VMG8924 with a bigger price tag 😕
TPLink sounds like it may have a decent competitor with  the TD-W9980, but according to my source it wont be available in the UK until the end of this year.  Im still awaiting details on the chipset.

cajef
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
How much would you be willing to spend on a router?

I am on an FTTP connection and would be willing to pay around £100 for a dual band fibre router with multicast option.
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

PlusHub VDSL Router Wink
Terranova667
Pro

I always wondered why plusnet don't have their own branded / configured Hub like BT's especially for fibre, i'm guessing maybe cost but still. 
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

i don't really understand the point.. one of the good things about PN is that they don't tie you to a specific router like a lot of other ISP's, you don't like the technicolor don't use it and buy another one like most of you have.
For a lot of people it will do the job..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Totally agree ^
I dont mind them sticking a logo badge on the router... or even SP specific firmware when it comes to config...  but would hate for one to be locked down like what some ISPs do.
coldfox
Dabbler

I have the Asus DSL n66u and the wifi range is just poor. Sometimes i think the 582n wifi is stronger. Also setup was a nightmare. I for some reason was given some broken firmware which cost me half a day trying to figure out what to do. Oh and the manual is the worst i have ever seen in my whole life.
ghos7em1
Grafter

would just like to make the point that not all familys have the money to buy new routers.isp should do more checks on the routers they supply
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Can you elaborate on that please?
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Most ISP PN included will provide a basic router , free or a nominal price  Wink
but it is up to each individual to decide which router they want to use . i have been with PN several years now and have read loads of posts stating the Thomson "a basic Router" is somewhat lacking  Embarrassed
I cannot afford to buy a £100 router myself , but would gladly order one from PN if the cost was spread over a time period on top of my bill.
and have no doupt there would be quite a few more here who would do also .
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .