cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will PN bother if i download too much in my free allowance?

sine220
Dabbler

will PN bother if i download too much in my free allowance?

basically as the subject title says........im wondering if PN will email me if i download too much between 00:00 and 08:00?
just wondering if there are any unofficial limts at which point they say stop.
cheers
6 REPLIES 6
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: will PN bother if i download too much in my free allowance?

PlusNet have been known to contact some customers with very high usage but this is rare.
What figure were you thinking of?
People have been known to download 200GB/month but I suspect they are in the minority. A figure of 100GB/month have been mentioned in the past so that is probably a good ballpark figure.
Or just download what you want and wait and see. All PN will do is ask you to reduce your usage, they won't suspend your connection unlike other ISPs.
Not applicable

I don't think there is an official limit, and if you did try to DL more than PN thought was fair, I understand it results in a genuinely friendly phone call. (Not a dressed up warning - an actual 2 way chat)
I'm sure some folks exceed the 100GB figure in a month sometimes.
sine220
Dabbler

cool Grin
i'm nowhere near the 100gb mark.....i was just concerned incase i got a row  Wink
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
As James and Peter say there are occasions where we've called users who are using so much that they are reducing the experience of other customers. These are friendly conversations, where we try to explain the issues and see if there is a more suitable solution. We do not apply any restrictions as a result of this, but would keep an eye on future usage.
I can say that every customer we've contacted has used more than 100GB, so you're pretty safe to work from that figure I reckon. Smiley
pierre_pierre
Grafter

From PC Plus Magazine Issue 265 Feb 08
Article on Build a 24/7PC Page 93
Scheduled Download
One major advantage which comes from leaving your computer on overnight comes from making more effiocient use of your Interner bandwidth, by scheduling downloads that might ottherwise reduce peak-time browsing to a crawl. And ther could bee a financial advantage to this approach, too .
Look at the basic 9.99 account offered by PlusNet(www.plus.net), for instance, and its 1GB data allowance doesn't look like a grat deal. However, if yoy read the small print, you'll find something unusual: they dont count any overnight (midnight to 8am) usage, even a 2Mbs connection could grab 7 or 8gb of data in this time
and so it goes on, saying some supposedly unlimited usage more expensive ISP's wont let you do that Grin can |I get my referrals now please?
puddy
Grafter

I stayed on my old account (not BBYW) so get 16 hours off peak usage a day. 
I am retired so find the extra off peak time very useful
puddy