cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

will I lose home hosting if I side-grade from PAYG to Unlimited+Static IP ??

disfroot
Rising Star

will I lose home hosting if I side-grade from PAYG to Unlimited+Static IP ??

Hi,
I currently have a static IP on  the legacy PAYG product. I have my lifetime free .co.uk domain from the WebMail penetration incident of a few years back. My domain control panel in the member centre allows me to flexibly point, e.g.
www.mydomain.co.uk at my Plusnet-hosted web space
AND
<anything I like 1>.mydomain.co.uk
<anything I like n>.mydomain.co.uk
at a home server on my LAN behind my static IP.
I've examined the descriptions of the two products and it is not clear whether I will still be able to do this if I side-grade to the Unlimited offering.
Its feature list (section 4) at
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/res_broadband_faq.shtml
does not include the item

• Up to 5 domains can be hosted for free

that is present on the PAYG description here
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/broadband_payg_archive.shtml
Can anyone please clarify ?
I've attached a snap of my current Domains CP - will all those fields (including the advanced DNS) still be there after a side-grade ?
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: will I lose home hosting if I side-grade from PAYG to Unlimited+Static IP ??

I moved from PAYG to Unlimited and still have that Domain control panel though in my case I only have a CNAME record to point ccgi to my Plusnet ccgi webspace. The "Configure DNS Records" button and functionality is still there.
The principle when moving from a legacy to a current product is that you keep what you *actually* have. On that basis you should be able to continue with what you have now. However it's best to get this confirmed on a ticket on your account.
David
RPMozley
Pro
Fixes: 13

Re: will I lose home hosting if I side-grade from PAYG to Unlimited+Static IP ??

I can confirm that you should still be able to keep that as I switched to unlimited and kept the free domain + another domain. Just in case though, might be an idea to copy down your custom domain settings before starting the switch product process (this is being super careful in the unlikely event of any errors).
Hopefully everything will go without a hitch for you.  Wink
That's RPM to you!!
disfroot
Rising Star

thanks for the replies ! Will confirm with a ticket, but the question will need to be asked _very_ carefully.
I am still wondering whether features that are migrated  will be frozen at their current level of use, e.g. I only use 1 domain of my allowed 5 on PAYG. Will I still be allowed to add another 4 once migrated to Unlimited, or will I be locked at 1 ?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Benefits possibly being frozen was in my mind when I suggested getting any concerns confirmed on a ticket. I don't know the answer but in my case wasn't bothered.
By the way, my previous statement about moving from PAYG to Unlimited - by inference directly - isn't quite correct, I actually moved from PAYG to Extra, then Extra to Unlimited. I'd forgotten about that intermediate step when I posted, but it doesn't appear to have affected the PAYG benefits. That ties up with what the FAQs say.
David