cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi speed

elsinor5
Dabbler

wifi speed

I want to ask a question to attempt to understand whats going on and where i can go.
Having had FTTC fitted last week, i was clocking and impressive 74-76Mb DL and 17Mb UL when connected directly to the PN router.
Wireless was very dissapointing. Within the same room i was only getting 35-40Mb wirelessly. Having then purchased a BT 2.4G / 5 G wireless dongle this improved to 66Mb sitting in the same place. This seems to indicate the PN router wireless speed is not too shabby.
I have since had some issues with the PN router and have substituted it for my old netgear DGN 2200. This still returns 74-76Mb DL and 17 UL when connected directly but a disapointing 45-50Mb DL using the same laptop usb dongle sitting in the same possition. UL speeds are always a consistant 17Mb however you connect.
So part of my question is why should the netgear be slower than the PN router over wireless.
My second queation is If i purchased a netgear R6250 and a netgear A6200 dongle would i be able to unleash any more of the 75Mb average DL Or could i end up with no more than the DGN2200.
In theory how close can you get to the hard wired figures over wireless if you are prepaird to pay for the router and dongle.
Your thoughts and theories would be truely appriciated. Having paid for 80Mb conection and seeing 75Mb hardwired i would like to realise as much of this as possible over wireless. Would the R620 do this confidently.
I appriciate nothing is guaranteed, but i want to know there is going to be significant improvement before i purchase.
Regards
I
11 REPLIES 11
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: wifi speed

So part of my question is why should the netgear be slower than the PN router over wireless.

The first thing to keep in mind is that wireless will always be slower than ethernet, secondly this will vary from router to router, have you tried changing the channels on the Netgear? Assuming you want to continue using that.
In theory how close can you get to the hard wired figures over wireless if you are prepaird to pay for the router and dongle.

Pretty close if using AC equipment (this is the standard that follows on from Wireless N but as I said before if would never quite as fast as ethernet.
Best thing to do is scour the web for reviews of the R6250 and A6200 and see if you can find any forum based discussion from others that might have used them.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
elsinor5
Dabbler

Cheers Adam.
I have tried going through all the channels and found the best at the time. this appears to be something which is regularly changing as routers come on and off during the day.
I would love to know why there is a difference between routers. I understand there are differences with chipsets and antenna but why but why should the PN router outperform the netgear in a situation below the max capable for both. I would have expected them to be very similar. It may be that there are other setting within the netgear that is throttling it back. Possibly due to it being predominantly an adsl modem router that has cable function.
my original question was to try and understand the difference between technologies. If the only thing that changes is the router, can you close that percentage loss to next to nothing. If a router is capable of transmitting 100 times faster than the information you are feeding it, will if transmit at its full rate.
Im Trying to get an understanding in an attempt to safeguard myself from spending £150 only to find it will still only give me 45-50Mb whilst in the same room as the router.
Regards
I
elsinor5
Dabbler

So can any of you highly experienced and knowledgeable people tell me if there are any tweaks I may be able to do to the DGN2200 to improve the wifi speed.
If not, bearing in mind I have a n600 BT dongle, will a N600 / N900 router handle the 75Mb line speed better and improve my wifi speed. i.e being capable of transferring the available data faster.
If that is the case then I would take it that simultaneous 2.4 / 5G is better as it would allow for n and g devises to work concurrently without impeding one another.
Am I understanding this correctly.
If I am who of you guys out there that are on the 80/20 PN are getting close to your Line speeds over wifi when sitting in the same room as the router. And if you are getting fairly close ie 65Mb plus, what equipment are you using.
Regards
I
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

You can squeeze more out of the TG router than many pundits on here would suggest.  See this web site http://npr.me.uk/ put together by NPR a regular contributor on these forums.
These routers are capable of doing better than the 100mbps of Ethernet over wifi given the right conditions.  Note the TG does not operate in the 5Ghz band.  A router / client working on this band will have less interferance than something on the (crowded) existing wiFi channels.  Having said that my TG router performed much better (overall) than the concurrent dual band Netgear N300 (3300 V2) which had WPS and connection stability issues with my Samsung printer and damed poor DNS functionality for the local network.
I have returned to sing my TG router, though I only have 5Mbs ADSL to exploit.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

elsinor5
Dabbler

Well today I repositioned my PN router and mounted it on the wall so it has changed its orientation. now sitting in my usual position in the lounge I am currently getting 70Mb wirelessly and 73Mb wired. That's what I was expecting. Shame the DGN2200 cant manage that. So for now the PN router will be staying.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi,
That is respectable from the TG.  This page http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/lan/?be=0&l0=4&l1=-1 will tell you what the TG thinks it is doing.  Though at the same time as this page says my TG is doing 65Mbs, inSIDDer reports the WiFi AP as having a maximum rate of 130Mbs.
After running the NPR tweak - wireless radio channelwidth=20/40 sgi=enabled - inSIDDer reported the max rate as 300Mbs and the TG page reported anything between 58 and 144 Mbps.
So with the NPR tweaks I referred you to, you might squeeze a bit more out of the WiFi.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Don't forget that advertised wireless speeds are the total of up/downstream, so Wireless G at 54Mb can only be something like 20Mb up and 34Mb down (examples, not hard and fast figures).
130Mb Wireless N is usually 65Mb in each direction, and so on.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

This half up / half down splitting of wireless bandwidth is total nonsense. It just doesn't work like that. A wireless device can't transmit and receive at the same time.
There are a lot of overheads with wireless, so that the amount of user data you can transfer over wireless is much less than the quoted wireless bitrates.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

I can't point at an authoritative answer to that; I'm just remembering something I read a while back. I don't have time to Google right now...
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: ejs
It just doesn't work like that. A wireless device can't transmit and receive at the same time.

Traffic indicator on my WiFi device would contradict the above statement.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I was thinking more at the physical layer of wireless CSMA/CA etc. I doubt the traffic indicator even indicates the 10 management beacons per second from the AP.