cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi issues

Jphugs

wifi issues

Hi all, (

I have been with plusnet for almost 3 years now and have been having trouble with my wifi and broadband stability for almost a year now. I am currently using the same router plusnet supplied me with 3 years ago (sagemcom router 2704n), I have spoken to plusnet several times of late with these issues and have never been given a permanent solution to the problem. Is this router old and fairly poor quality? and can I do anything with it to improve wifi? my wife runs an online business from home and decent wifi is crucial.

6 REPLIES 6
Jphugs

Re: wifi issues

my internet speed should be around 20mbps but I generally only get around 5mbps....could this be a router problem also? 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Welcome to the forums, @Jphugs.

Just an observation, but if you run a business online, you should be on a business package - PlusNets' T&C's make that fairly clear.

Also, for anyone to advise you, a little more detail is required - see the ADSL speed faults sticky towards the top of this board.

John
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Wifi isn't a perfect technology, and the 2704n router isn't the best Wifi router available, although mine is adequate for my needs using TP-link extenders to extend the range (also not 'perfect' technology though!)

Assuming both posters don't have similar problems using wired connections, it may be worth using an app like 'Wifi Analyzer' on a portable device to check the signal strength at different locations - changing router position and/or wireless channel can make a big difference. 

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

@JayG I don't have a problem, I was merely advising @Jphugs.Smiley

John
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Sorry @jab1 - eyes and brain obviously not fully focussed yet (hadn't noticed that first 2 posts were by same member! Embarrassed)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there. Welcome to the community forums.

Our tests aren't finding any issues and we can see your router in sync at 24mbps.

Would you be able to try a wired connection to your router? This will help narrow down where the problem lies.

If your speed is OK that way, then it's likely the issue lies with the wireless signal and further help can be found here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Plusnet-Blogs/How-to-boost-your-wi-fi/ba-p/1450193

If you're still having problems using a wired connection, please can you run a speed test at www.speedtest.btwholesale.com completing the further diagnostics?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet