cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wifi and ethernet clashing?

mattw400

wifi and ethernet clashing?

hi i have speed problems with my router. so far the only solution to this is turning off the wifi on the router which then gives me regular speeds on my  main pc which is connected through ethernet. when i go into the router settings and look at the dsl connection it says the speeds are upload - 440kbps and download - 18kbps, i dont believe it should be this slow 😕 . also i have tried restarting and turning off devices and router several times.
so any help would be a joy
thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: wifi and ethernet clashing?

If that's the Plusnet modem/router can you post the TG582n Full DSL stats you get the login screen first. Otherwise see here for guidance.
Can you also post your Current Line speed (Login required) - don't post your phone number!
Anotherone
Champion

I also see from a previous post that you've had trouble with the connection recently. Did that get pursued?
Can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other noises on the line when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
And welcome to the forum by the way.
mattw400

no there hasn't been any problems with the phone or calls. i am wondering if bt superfast is causing this as i believe they are currently upgrading my area to fibre.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

your upload needs uncapping - hopefully that will get picked up here tomorrow
Anotherone
Champion

That sync speed only looks a little bit below what one might expect - it was the "...and download - 18kbps" in your OP that had me worried. You've got 17634kbps at the moment Wink
As Jim has mentioned you can have the Upstream uncapped. One of the CRT may do that for you tomorrow.
Quote from: mattw400
...... i am wondering if bt superfast is causing this as i believe they are currently upgrading my area to fibre.

It's perfectly possible that such work may be causing occasional disconnects. The stats errors aren't out of the way, would be nice if they were a touch lower. Post up some more stats in say 24hours and keep ear on the phone line. You can do the Quiet Line Test if need be, 17070 option 2.
Avoid the reboots if possible, if it's essential use the following method to do a "Graceful" disconnect -
Log in to the Modem/Router, in the Internet box, click Disconnect to drop the PPP Internet session (this is not the sync), wait about a minute and then power down the Modem/Router. After about another minute you can unplug it from the line if you need to swap anything, but stay offline for at least 10 minutes.
When you re-connect and power up, you may need to Login to the Modem/Router and click Connect to establish a new PPP session.
Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, then leave it for the rest of the day. This method is to help stop the Exchange DLM from thinking your sync loss was a dropped connection.
(For anyone who has a modem/router that doesn't have an interface for you to drop the PPP session, then pull the power plug and wait a minute or two before unplugging from the line).
Just to be clear, when you were getting "slow speed" was this over your wifi connection?
mattw400

no the slow speed only happens over the ethernet whilst the wifi is still normal and generally the ethernet is slow from around 9pm until the morning. maybe i have a problem with drivers or some other issue not related to connection speeds?
Anotherone
Champion

Now there could be two separate issues here. Is there any traffic on the WiFi when you run the speedtest? Any traffic other than the speedtest can lead to erroneous speedtest results.
If you are certain that there is no other traffic using your connection (wifi or ethernet) when you run a speedtest at 9pm or later, you say until morning - could you be more exact? There's a possibility this could be congestion.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've placed a order to uncap your upload which will complete tomorrow.
There's no capacity issues reported at your exchange so I'd recommend checking what Anotherone has advised you on.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team