cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why its a bad idea

Blim
Grafter

why its a bad idea

I already know it to be the case but can someone nicely explain why limiting a download from the receiving end isnt a good idea. Can it course problems while using a net limiter?
Is there such thing as a TCP algorithm to prevent packets being sent faster than they can be received affectively without packet loss on the connection in use?

ps. I hope its ok to ask this here because its plusnet unrelated.

EDIT: whiles using a net limiter.
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: why its a bad idea

I don't really see where you are going with this question.
I would think in most cases the receiving end does limit the download speed, as customers home equipment is likely to be the slowest hop compared to the rest of the internet.  Think back to when we used 56Kbps modems to connect to the internet, it worked fine back then, and now some home connections are a thousand times quicker, but both still work today without packet loss.
TCP uses acknowledgements (amongst other things) to say "yes I've received that packet - now send another", so there shouldn't be packets lost due to the sending end going too fast.

Blim
Grafter

Thanks, that's spot on what I wanted to know.
I don't really see where you are going with this question.

The path to knowledge and the ability to trouble shoot a problem Smiley but also so I can hold a creditable conversation (providing its not based on my spelling).
cheers.
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

When I use "wget --limit-rate" to download something slower than my line speed, as far as wget is concerned, it downloads at the rate specified. But what actually happens is it downloads somewhat faster, and up to a few MB could end up bufferred before wget receives the data, then the actual transfer finishes, and the buffer empties at the rate limit given to wget.
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Wikipedia article on TCP data transfer would give you a more detailed insight - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol#Data_transfer