cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why does my ip address keep changing

crobertbailey
Grafter

why does my ip address keep changing

Hi please be gentle with me as i know very little regarding this subject.
I set up a broadband monitor with think broadband and i  have to keep editing it as my ip address keeps changing is this usual or what?
Thanks
Robert
8 REPLIES 8
kirk
Grafter

Re: why does my ip address keep changing

Hi Robert
Every time your router disconnects and reconnects to Plusnet it will get a different IP address. If you wanted to keep the same IP address every time you reconnect, you can pay Plusnet a one off payment of £5 for a static IP address.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

You're on dynamic IP, this means that your IP address has the potential to change frequently especially if you have lots of connects or disconnects.
Static IP, where you get the same one every time, is available on some packages but does have a one off cost associated with it.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
crobertbailey
Grafter

WOW thanks for the quick answers, what would be the benefits of upgrading to a fixed ip address?
Thanks
Robert
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

aside from having not to update your monitor, probably very little if you haven't noticed up until now.
it's generally used if you want to be able to connect to your home pc's / servers whilst out without having to worry that your IP address has changed.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
kirk
Grafter

Static IP will never change, so each time you go online you'll keep the same number. That means it's a lot easier for the outside world to communicate with your machine, making it possible to set up remote access to your computer, More reliable VOIP, you can run an FTP server, you can Run a game server etc. If you work from home the company that you work for may need to know your IP address to connect to their VPN, therefore having a static IP will be easier so they don't need to keep updating it.
x47c
Grafter

I have heard static IP's can be a disadvantage if the IP address you are given has been previously spammed/attacked/DDOS'd by hackers or attempted hackers.
This means now that YOU have the address permenantely your router is constantly fending off the challenges.
With a dynamic address this is less of a problem as the OP has discovered its always changing (BT overnight maintenence often causes it as it means the connection to plusnet is interrupted though the router remains in sync with the local exchange).
Anyone got any comment on the validity or otherwise of this theory.
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I don't see how that makes any difference, in order to have an internet connection you will have to have an IP and a dynamic one is just as likely to be range scanned as a static one.
Mainly useful if you want to access your internet connection away from home. I use it for remote desktoping into my PC from work, but there are other uses. Such as if you wanted to set up network CCTV and being able to view it externally (I've set this up before for someone), or you have a media playing device which can act as an FTP server.
crobertbailey
Grafter

Thanks for all the replies went ahead and ordered it for a fiver can't complain guess i was just used to virgin 2 years with the same address as i loged into my server in that time and didn't seem to have any problems only when i got plusnet did the problems start, not saying it was there fault but i didn't twig that this was the cause.
Anyway all set up now and working fine ( touch wood )
Thanks
Robert