Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: why do folk need or want fibre??

Nice  Cry  I'll swap you my 20CN line  Grin
HairyMcbiker
All Star

No thanks that was what had, 5Mb down .5Mb up.
As I said to my wife my Internet connection was walking now it is on the motorway  Cheesy
gleneagles
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 17

Quote from: CX
I'm looking forward to fibre because when it comes it will theoretically bring a huge speed improvement (an order of magnitude faster) and improved stability of connection. I'm a long way from the telephone exchange (5km), but reasonably close to my cabinet (400m). This means that on ADSL I can barely get 2Mbps (which these days is just adequate for browsing, but difficult to enjoy any streaming video content) whereas with fibre it should be between 50 and 60Mbps.
To be honest, I would be happy with ADSL over FTTC, if that ever became available (doubtful, since there is no benefit to BT for offering it).
Not sure if you have checked out the estimated speed increase you would get with fibre but if not it might be worth doing so, My current speed is similar to yours at just under 2 Mbps but checking out what I would get with fibre the estimate is around 10 Mbps !
We are born into history and history is born into us.
traceyisland17

What a strange OP? Everyone who gets fibre will have their own reasons. Fair enough, the OP may not need it but I really can't see the point in the post. S/he pays £8 a month less than me, big deal. I'm not sure the OP is bragging, questioning our sanity or just nosey?
I upload huge amounts of files for archiving. I need the superfast speeds. Good enough reason?
Anotherone
Champion

The OP is one of our "silver surfers" IIRC and is no doubt learning all the time. Sometimes you don't learn without asking questions  Cool
vetterlein
Grafter

Got my fibre yesterday.
38Mb down , around 10Mb up ... this is 78mb download package.
A few problem with the phone extensions ... I suspect the BT engineer used the wrong pins (not a BT extension socket more B&Q)
Much the same a previous ... managed to getup the technicolor  ... added same static route as was needed on the thomson
So many Debian & Ubuntu boxes  .. plus some droid phones  ...all seem happy and the problem of the 'wireless N' crashing the Thomson does not seem to affect the technicolor.
Mainly I hop this means Plusnet won't keep dropping me down to 250k ... even on an uncapped  package.