Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do folk need or want fibre??

kdoug007
Grafter

why do folk need or want fibre??

sorry   IF a  repeat  question ..
 but    what is the    purpose  of    paying  and  infact  have  PN   fibre...
 is  it   .,. that  one  has there   computer on  most  of the  day?Huh
 i  had a  10gb  usage  (   now  60  gbs)  and  find  thats  more than enough
20 REPLIES 20
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: why do folk need or want fibre??

It's all about available bandwidth.
e.g. you have a pc and a smart tv both wanting to watch video (ok not the units the users) downloaded
using a normal adsl you have say 5mb between them, so it will be slow and jumpy, switch to fiber at say 40Mb and suddenly it is all ok.
(I have tried using iplayer etc but it is just too choppy even with nothing else downloading here.)
Change this to several devices wanting bandwidth tv/pc/laptop/phone/tablet etc and you see the problem.
I am getting fibre tomorrow and will be rescheduling my "normal" downloads to over night, why because 8*60Mb > 24*5Mb, so I can get all my bits at off peak rates and still have catchup tv etc available on the TV.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Stability is also a big factor, fibre for me is far more stable than ADSL2 was.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

BT's adverts for fibre feature a household with three 'students'.  If you have a household with multiple users all wanting to download or stream at the same time then you might need the speed that fibre offers.
If you are at the end of a long telephone line and get very slow broadband you might benefit from the fibre giving you enough speed to make things like streaming audio-visual material (e.g. the BBC iPlayer) viable.  But by and large BT don't cater for people in this latter situation so you'ld  be lucky to find that the fibre option was available.
There is a third class of user who doesn't need fibre but still wants it because they are prepared to pay for luxury items.
WWWombat
Grafter

The extra speed of download is useful for me, alone, when I have something huge to download. Linux distribution DVD's for example.
The extra speed of download is useful for the family, when we have a variety of devices downloading and/or streaming.
The reduction in latency adds a nice touch, and with both that and the download limits, it makes streaming considerably more stable (few "buffering" moments).
The extra speed of upload is a massive gain, for the times I'm working and sending stuff out.
The extra stability that comes from being on a shorter piece of copper helps too (today, I'm on a plain ADSL2+ connection that just went down...)
The extra usage capacity that (at the time) came with the package helped. And, as is usually the case, is now being gobbled up voraciously.
Finally, as ReedRichards comments, there was an element of "having it because it was there". Just a little - and we could justify it because it cost no more than our legacy product. I have been an advocate for having broadband at home since it first started (I got a 2Mb connection in the very first set of broadband trials, when that cost around £50pm), which means I also know how your usage expands to fit the available bandwidth. The extra headroom has some benefits...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
kdoug007
Grafter

emmm..  well i got my self   a  apple  tv...
 watched a  net-flix  movie  last  night  was  100%  perfect   no    gliches...
   just seems a  lot  of  money  to spend  on  fibre..
   my  cost  is  £11.49 pm..   not  sure  i would  want  to  
 spend  more ££
  THAT  SAID .. i    can understand  if  one  has  a  family  emmmm
 well just my  opinion      for  what  it  counts..
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I suggest you think a bit about what Netflix needs http://support.netflix.com/en/node/306#gsc.tab=0
    0.5 Megabits per second - Required broadband connection speed
    1.5 Megabits per second - Recommended broadband connection speed
    3.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for DVD quality
    5.0 Megabits per second - Recommended for HD quality
So for an Apple TV you would need 5Mbits/sec which is a lot more than many users will get on standard ADSL
chesterfield
Grafter

The major advantage for me would be the ability for home working if I or my wife needed to.  Our work involves dealing with large spreadsheets and other files (circa 10mb).  The upload is obviously a key point here, as this is where the current bottleneck occurs.  Unfortunately our office is located in an area that has so far only been provided with the standard up to 8mb products.  So while I am looking forward to fibre at home (due as part of phase 10b if Im lucky enough to see our cabinet enabled) - without the same service being offered in our offices location, I will not see the main benefit that I am looking forward to with the advent of fibre broadband in the UK.
I can live with my current speed of download, its ample enough, though streaming HD to multiple devices in the future when my child grows up may get a bit iffy on the 11mb we have - it is the upload that holds the most benefit for me.  If I had 8mb up both at home and at work, then home working would be much easier and faster than at present.
Blim
Grafter

OP
To me it seems pointless having a download speed of 80Mbps, I'd be happy with annex m with the added upload but it comes under the same price range as fibre anyway. Also I live in a shared house, the fiber download limit is more than twice and we do use the 60gb atm. It would be handy to have the extra download limit, I only let one other person use my internet but I could shared the bill more than 2 ways when fibre is activated in my area.
With a good QoS router I can use my internet for gaming and not care about what others are doing. I run the router off the adsl modem/router then connect my pc to the modem/router too.
Edit: same our tv dosnt work here so I use catchuptv for that.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Monthly download cap, I have no TV/radio so I get Everything online.  So before it was changed, Fibre extra had a 120gigcap, that would have been enough.  but now it is 250gig monthly cap on Extra which is roughly the same price I pay now for ADSL extra with 60gig cap.
That and on a good day I get 4mbit speeds with my current line from the cabinet to the exchange, Clarkson moment here but more speeeed
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
kmilburn
Grafter

For me it's the speed,  because when I do something, I want it to happen as quickly as possible.
Downloading the OpenSUSE ISO image (4.3GB) a couple of weeks ago took 9 minutes,  versus the 2 hours it would have taken me on ADSL.
One added benefit of having a large usage cap in comparison to what I actually use is that I can do things like this whenever I like too, and don't have to schedule it overnight to preserve my allowance!
CX
Grafter

I'm looking forward to fibre because when it comes it will theoretically bring a huge speed improvement (an order of magnitude faster) and improved stability of connection. I'm a long way from the telephone exchange (5km), but reasonably close to my cabinet (400m). This means that on ADSL I can barely get 2Mbps (which these days is just adequate for browsing, but difficult to enjoy any streaming video content) whereas with fibre it should be between 50 and 60Mbps.
To be honest, I would be happy with ADSL over FTTC, if that ever became available (doubtful, since there is no benefit to BT for offering it).
vetterlein
Grafter

I've been rather forced onto Fibre (tomorrow) just to get a reasonable cap (Plusnet failed to honour my old uncapped contract)
the sad thing is I'm close the exchange but a long way (12 houses ?!)  from the cabinet  ... so I used to get 11Mpbs ... but out of a possible 78 mbps it seems
my new fibre will only get 31mbps ... sigh
If you are near the cabinet  I would expect BT to upgrade the exchange to cabinet just to save the maintenance bill , so you should do great.
Anotherone
Champion

@kdoug007
If you are going to watch Netflix movies, I suggest you keep an eye on your usage at the member centre. It will eat your 60Gb quite quickly and unless you have a Data Transfer Watch set, it could get costly!
HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well got my fibre this morning. Phone call just before 8am. Engineer arrived while I was walking my dog, my wife let her in, took about 30min and then another disconnect later - she warned me this may happen - and now online fine.
Just tried a couple of tests:
Speedtest.net shows 72Mb Down/15Mb up
1.21Gb iso of Linux Mint LMDE in UNDER TWO MINUTES  Grin Grin  Cool That is equivalent to an hour+ long HD TV program in 2min!