cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which routers will work with plusnet

delver

which routers will work with plusnet

hi forum members
iv'e just joined pn & decided against purchasing their router instead to buy my own can anyone advise me which one to go for please
i will also need a compatible wireless dongle. i have seen a netgear pack for £30
                                                                                                      thanks
                                                                                                      delver
                                                                                            new pn member

8 REPLIES 8
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: which routers will work with plusnet

The PlusNet supplied TG585V7 works perfectly well on most reasonable quality lines. It is also ADSL2+ capable if your exchange supports that.
If you choose to  buy your own then there is a lot of opinion aired here that the Netgear DG834V2 and V3 are easily configured abd work well. Note that the V5 uses a Conexant chipset and may behave differently to previous versions.
I have recently switched to a BT Home Hub V2.0 Type A which seems to hold Sync much better than my Thomson Speedtouch 585V6. It also has IEEE 802.11n Wireless capability which works very well. You can pick up a BT HH V2 on eBay for around a Tenner quite easily. 
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Welcome to the forums delver Smiley
In theory any ADSL2+ modem / router will work with PlusNet, as wheel_nut has said.
Make sure it's a modem / router and not just a router, as these will require a ADSL modem too.
If you could post a link to the Netgear package you have seen, others may be able to offer more insightful advice.
I have had two netgear routers one was good the other poor, for my specific needs, I now have a Billion one which is superb, but wasn't overly cheap for a home one.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
delver

thank you for your replies my aplologies for not realising i needed a modem router ive seen a few on ebay for around £10 - £15 i'l try to find modem & wireless adapter package
and i'l send some links.                                                                                                        thanks
                                                                                                                                                      delver
delver

dvorak

No, I'd avoid that one they are quite old and have insecure wireless.
You'd be better off looking at something like this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=5009
I don't have personal experience of that router, so it's not an endorsement, but I've bought from Broadband Buyer a few times and they are good and it seems to tick the boxes and has a usb stick for you too.

Customer / Moderator
delver

dvorak

That'd work too, you know what you're looking for now pick some your interested in and google for reviews I'd say Smiley
Customer / Moderator
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: delver
thank you for your replies my aplologies for not realising i needed a modem router ive seen a few on ebay for around £10 - £15 i'l try to find modem & wireless adapter package
and i'l send some links.                                                                                                         thanks
                                                                                                                                                     delver

They are hard to get new as the v5 version (Connexant chipped) has replaced it, but the v4 (Broadcom chipped) is worth checking out.
They might still have some here if you're buying new but you'll need to enquire to be sure it's still a v4 they are supplying.
The v4 can be found on ebay too.