cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

which realm should I use

amcclean
Rising Star

which realm should I use

I have been having issues with my speed of late and was advised today to try the realm plusdsl2.net and re-do the speed tests.
When I tried the speedtest.net site I noticed my ip address had altered. The strange thing is that speedtest.net gave me the options of looking at the results from both ip addresses. When I choose the normal ip address it listed my isp as London however when i choose the plusdsl2.net realm it listed my results against BT and  East Lothian.
Being in the Central belt should I choose the second one or stick with the main realm?
Regards,
podman
4 REPLIES 4
techguy
Grafter

Re: which realm should I use

Don't use speedtest.net
Use http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk which is on PN's network and http://www.speedtester.bt.com
As regards seeing your results I think it looks for a cookie and then retrieves the results from its database.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

When you connect via plusdsl.net you will connect via Plusnet's gateways in London and be given your normal IP which is in the Plusnet range.
When you connect using plusdsl2.net you connect to a BT Retail RAS which as you have seen will be considerably nearer to you.
If you do a tracert while connected via RIN you will see where you are connected. You may find that many Scottish servers give you a lot lower ping when connected via RIN as the traffic won't be going to London and back.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
amcclean
Rising Star

It dosn't set a cookie, I wipe all cookies regularly and it still recognises me when i visit. I have a static IP address.

I will try some pings out and see if there is a difference.
will my ip address via the rin always be the same as I have requested a static ip or will it change?
podman
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

On RIN you will always get a different IP each time. The static IP only applies when connected to the Plusnet network.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)