cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

when is BT Speedtest wrong?

MatM

when is BT Speedtest wrong?

ok, maybe I'm venting a little frustration at plusnet support here. 

Four weeks on from a new connection and I'm getting roughly 50% of estimated speed. Hence, I do the usual stuff here, then run BT Wholesale speed test. It doesn't find an error, mainly because BT's estimated line speed is substantially less than plusnet's estimation. Specifically: 

Download speedachieved during the test was - 8.7 Mbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
 IP Profile for your line is - 8 Mbps

The latter line being key: now, I'm paying for a 17mbps connection with an estimated speed at/around the maximum figure of this, but according to BT Wholesale, they've only provisioned an 8mbps line. It seems pretty cut-and-dried that either plusnet haven't paid BT for the faster connection, or BT stuffed up the order. Maybe it's just my naivety?

Alas, this level of information with plusnet support didn't wash -  computer said no, so instead I spent 40minutes on a live chat going through the motions only to get cut off when he ran the line test: never to be re-contacted.

come on plusnet, please don't treat all your customers as drongos!

3 REPLIES 3
scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: when is BT Speedtest wrong?

Hi @MatM

Looks like the previous agent misunderstood and was only looking at the downstream sync rate rather than the profile.  I can see the profile is incorrect an currently placing a modify with BT to correct it.  I'll be sure to pass on Feedback to the previous agent about this and apologise.  The profile should be corrected with 24 hours.

MatM

cheers - just checked again and hey presto: now reading a 15mbps line profile!

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear it's improved.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team