cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what time PN catch up with BT's line profile

scootie
Grafter

what time PN catch up with BT's line profile

Any one know at what time of day does PN's line profiles update to that of BT's. i understand PN gets this info twice aday from bt just wondering at what times of the day.
10 REPLIES 10
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: what time PN catch up with BT's line profile

I guess it's done in batches, so different accounts will get their profile updated at different times of the day.
B.
godsell4
Rising Star

Last I heard it was at 8AM and 8PM, but you may need to disconnect your modem to get the affect.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I'm not sure what time precisely, however looking at the update times it appears to be early in the morning and then afternoon/evening. I've attached the times of my recent speed updates below:-
03:56:01
09:20:45
03:53:54
09:20:02
15:16:50
03:39:57
04:03:03
09:25:22
03:55:00
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
techguy
Grafter

A question relating to this and the network topology in general.
I'm assuming BT control the speed at the DSLAM but is the BRAS controlled by PN (from the pov of IP allocation) or is this also controlled by BT?
zubel
Community Veteran

The BRAS Profile is also determined by the DSLAM at the exchange.
Plusnet merely get notification of the BRAS Profile and match their profile to it
B.
techguy
Grafter

But PN's equipment is resposible for such things as IP address allocation yes? (I've read that in some configurations this is done at the BRAS)
zubel
Community Veteran

The BT Equipment at the exchange uses the realm (plusdsl.net) details to decide which ISP to pass the authentication details to.
They then hand-off the authentication to Plusnet's RADIUS servers, which confirm your username and password.
The next step I'm actually not clear on, but it will be either the Plusnet RADIUS server, or a Plusnet-controlled DHCP server that will assign you your IP address.  However, this has nothing to do with your BRAS profile at all.
B.
techguy
Grafter

Flamin' Wikipedia!
Grin
Been doing a little reading on DSLAMs etc in preparation for my networking course.
zubel
Community Veteran

Well, it is technically the BRAS *hardware* which assigns the IP addresses, as it's the endpoint for the PPP link from your router.  However, the actual IP address you are assigned is given to the BRAS by the Plusnet RADIUS server (I'm fairly certain it would be the RADIUS server)
The Wikipedia entry is fairly US-skewed, where ISP's are likely to have their own BRAS server.  In the UK (excluding LLU providers) the BRAS is (AIUI) under the control of BT.  Control of the connection falls to the ISP when it hits the ISP end of the Central.
Kitz has a great Series of articles on how ADSL in the UK works, which is incredibly informative.
B.
techguy
Grafter

I did start reading up on the kit PN have deployed to terminate their centrals on juniper networks and very impressive it is too
shame there isn't a tech that allows us to elbow BT and connect directly.
Thanks for your response Barry, much appreciated.