Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are my rights?

StephenF
Grafter

what are my rights?

hi guys,
didnt know were to post this, this isnt a problem with you, plusnet is awesome
however ive been with you for 2 months now and used a mac from [Censored] tiscali,
now today recieved a bank statement and the cheeky [Censored] are still charging us even after cancellation (free)
35 quid last month and 5 quid this month. i cannot afford to keep paying this and i thought you guys as an ISP would know my rights and what i can do about these [Censored].
i know your busy and any help would be appreciated
cheers
steve
10 REPLIES 10
tonycollinet
Grafter

Re: what are my rights?

Have you contacted them, and (politely) asked them what they are charging you for?
StephenF
Grafter

well i was uber angry the first call and eventually got hung up on
second call i got put through to somebody british, who i explained my whole problem too and then he said "ok ill get you put through to our refund line" and then put me back through to the automated service selector 😕
thrid call however, i spoke to somebody who actually gave a toss, and they explained that the charge was for the two months previous before cancellation and the £5 this month was for the switch over period were i was still with tiscali.
so yeah i just got enrage for [Censored] all to be honest.
its just with previous experiences with tiscali, i expected the worst. I also had a similar problem with BT but they really did [Censored] me over, so its hard to automatically be posotive in these situations
thanks for your help anyway
and sorry for the rant  Embarrassed
Zap
Grafter

As hard as it is to be positive in these situations, you would have saved yourself a lot of hassle (and swearing) if you had actually tried to resolve your problem before coming on here with a rant.
We like a good link:censored as much as the next person but really, besides what's wrong with foreign call centres and customer support staff who don't give a toss, quite understandable when you start off by swearing.
You might learn something positive from this experience; does this swearing actually help you get what you want?
adie:red avoidance of language filter removed as per link:rules]
tonycollinet
Grafter

The first thing to remember is the person you are speaking to is not to blame for the problem - then think about how you would react, if someone spoke to you the way you speak to them.
Then realise you are much more likely to get what you want if you are calm & polite. Perhaps have a bit of a joke with the person about things going wrong. If they are unable to help you - still don't get angry, just ask to speak to someone who can.
Emma
Grafter

if the payment was not meant to be taken, and all contract payments have already been made speak to your bank and do a direct debit indemnity.
Write tiscalli  a letter or an email writing down the date you asked for mac, work out your account cancellation date using their rules/regs and then work out what you owe them as no doubt broadband is paid for in advance and if a payment was take 3 weeks before you asked for a mac you probably did owe them a bit of money.
Plusnet charges in advance for broadband and in arrears for the phone.
mal0z
Grafter

A had a bad experince leaving Tiscally - they kept sending me invoices / demands for phone bills when  I never had a phone service from them. I only had Broadband - originally with Pipex.
I didn't phone them on their 0871 25p per minute line, but wrote emails , letters and it took 6 months before they gave up.
hulls
Grafter

At least we can have a guess at what the "F" in "StephenF" stands for  Smiley
John
artmo
Aspiring Champion

If Tiscali can't help I wonder what the OP expects us to do Undecided
LiamM
Grafter

Only if you're absolutely sure you're in the right, and you are not in contract and you have paid up any notice periods / cancellation charges (based on Tiscali's terms and conditions) I would cancel any Direct Debit instructions with your bank and then get in touch to ask for a refund for the amount you have paid which you shouldn't have.
As has been discussed above... the way to get the most co-operation is to be calm and polite about the situation.  It isn't the fault of the person you speak to.  Knowing Tiscali they are probably just as sick about working there as you were about being their customer (but it's a job!) and therefore are quite likely to take your side and see your point of view if you're calm with them.  Being aggressive and rude I find only results in the person you're talking to naturally becoming defensive and less helpful.
If you feel you can't do the above, or if it gets you nowhere, then send a recorded delivery letter stating the facts, detailing what you owe and making sure you advise them of when you cancelled and gave notice etc... to back up your claims.  Give them 14 days to respond and hopefully you'll hear back without requiring any further action.  If you don't hear back from them, I would speak to Citizen's Advice Bureau and see what their view of the situation and next steps are.
nadger
Rising Star

Reading other forums I've seen lots of complaints about Tiscali still charging customers after they've migrated.
The first thing one should have done was to cancel DD, on migration, and to have advised Tiscali that you'd pay any outstanding monies by either cheque or, as I did, by transfer. I gave Pipex no alternative other than to deal on my terms - they protested but I wasn't prepared to go through the refund ritual.
One has to remember that one is liable for 30 day notice period.
A lot of people seem to complained to ISPA and eventually been contacted by Tiscali high level complaints.
Remember that CPW now own Tiscali. You may also find threads like this useful.