cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

want to use Asus router instead of Plusnet one.

tooslow
Grafter

want to use Asus router instead of Plusnet one.

Is there a setup guide to configure my own Asus router to use with Plusnet ADSL?
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: want to use Asus router instead of Plusnet one.

It might help if you said which model of ASUS 'router' you are intending to use,
and whether of not you intend to use an external ADSL modem ?, and if so which model of modem ?
Roll_eyes
tooslow
Grafter

http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/DSLN11/

Router with built in modem.
jim:quote
Rickkk
Dabbler

Its very simple to do, enter your username and password, change VCI to 38, protocol to PPPoA, encapsulation mode to VC-Mux and that will be all.
ochristmas
Dabbler

Rickkkkk as you were so helpful is there any chance you could point me in the right direction of instructions for http://www.asus.com/uk/Networking/RTAC68U/ ; I stupidly purchased one without a built in modem.  I tried about 6 months ago disabling the routing functions of the the original plusnet modem/router but couldnt work it out.  Should I purchase a cheapy modem from say tplink or do you know of some dummy friendly instructions.  Thanks if you can help and sorry for hijacking this solved thread!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi,
For the router setup(ASUS) set the WAN connection type to PPPoE ( page 64 of manual ) and put your plusnet username &password in the Authentication section.
As regards using the original PN mode/router as a modem, assuming it's a TG582n, see this thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.0.html . Once you've configured it in bridge mode connect LAN port 1 of the TG582n to the WAN port of the ASUS.
Hope that helps, any queries post back and we'll try to help.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ochristmas
Dabbler

Cheesy MisterW - thanks very much.  I did as you said, and even though I am pretty sure I tried the same thing about 12 months ago, it is now working.  Thanks very much for your help and time - really appreciated.
ochristmas
Dabbler

In case it helps - this is what I did to get my Technicolor TG582n into Bridge Mode and connected to ASUS RT-N66U router.
1. Wire connected a laptop to asus router
2. set the router's WAN connection type to PPPoE ( page 64 of manual ) and put plusnet username &password in the Authentication section.
3. router then sits there trying to connect (which it can't)
4. open terminal connection to modem
5. pasted the following commands:
ppp relay flush
ppp flush
eth flush
atm flush
atm phonebook flush
saveall
atm phonebook add name=BrPPPoE_ph addr=0.38
atm ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_atm
atm ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_atm dest=BrPPPoE_ph  encaps=llc ulp=mac
atm ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifadd intf=BrPPPoE_br
eth bridge ifconfig intf=BrPPPoE_br dest=BrPPPoE_atm
eth bridge ifattach intf=BrPPPoE_br
service system modify name=DHCP-S state=disabled
wireless radio state=disabled
saveall
I did have an issue that "wireless radio state=disabled" wasn't recognised but ignored that.
6. Connect LAN port 1 of the TG582n modem to the WAN port of the ASUS router.
That should be it.
Hope that helps.  Big thanks MisterW and the various forum threads for helping.