cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow internet

aosborne

very slow internet

My internet speed is extremely slow, and has been for some time, however it is even more obvious now that I am home schooling/working from home.

It has been particularly noticeable in the last few days and I did a broadband speed test on the uswitch.com website (I followed all of the advice to get an accurate test result), which said the following:

Download 2.9MB (96% slower than average) 

Upload 0.5MB (98% slower than average)

It is vital that my broadband is working efficiently and based on the above, this is terrible.

Can someone from Plusnet contact me for a resolution as a matter of urgency.

7 REPLIES 7
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: very slow internet

Welcome to the forums, @aosborne . Plusnet staff do not patrol these forums much under the current situation, but there are a number of Community members who can offer advice/help.

For us to do that, we need a little more information from you, aswe don't have access to the PN systems (obviously). The first question is - are you on an ADSL or FTTC connection?

John
aosborne

Hi, I am on ADSL 

jab1
Legend

OK - if you are on ADSL:

Plusnet staff support, like the phone service, is still severely restricted. If you would like help from the community, a good starting point is to have a look at This  post and supply as much detail from it as possible.

It would also be a good idea to carry out a 'Quiet Line Test' - dial 17070 from a (preferably corded) phone and select option 2 - there should be no discernable noise. If there is, report a phone fault first, as without a clear phone connection, your broadband will not perform correctly.

If you reply to this topic with as much detail as possible, there are plenty of experienced members who can advise on possible remedies.

If you decide to also post on the Twitter/Facebook accounts and get a response from there, please come back here and say so.

John
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Knowing what your line is capable of and what services you can get would be a good place to start. You may think your speeds are poor, but if you are a long way from the exchange then that is to be expected.

Enter your phone number in the BTW DSL Checker, post the results and make sure you hide your phone number.

BT Broadband (btwholesale.com)

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If you also post on twitface you make delivering support more difficult. Seeking help through multiple channels simply increases the support backlog and is unproductive.

This is a far better place to seek help - not only will you get support from staff, there are also a great number of customers who can help you get to the bottom of the issue.

Note that staff will require you to do the same as you’ve been requested to do above.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aosborne

Hi, thank you for your response, but I haven't posted to Twitter if that's what you mean?
I simply haven't had the opportunity to respond to any of the other helpful requests as I have been busy home schooling/home working and am finding it difficult to find the time to be a technical wizard also.
jab1
Legend

I understand the pressure you may be under, @aosborne , but until we have some useful data to look at, we cannot help - we are not mind-readers, and can only go on what we are told.

John