cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

very slow download and upload speeds

varan01
Dabbler

very slow download and upload speeds

On 19th May, I informed Plusnet that my internet is very slow and almost not downloading and uploading anything.- -speed very close to 0.

They tested my line and found that my circuit was set to an SNR margin of 3 decibels on the downstream, because the lines are very sensitive and that margin is too low for the line to cope with, this will reflect in either disconnections or slow speed.

To fix this they reset the line which will return the SNR margin target to 6 instead of 3. 

Also they modified my circuit to prevent the SNR margin from being changed in future automatically by the Dynamic Line management system at the exchange.

Seemed the line improved for a couple of days -for download only.

But just a week after, same slow down occurred. My current download speed is 2.6 MB (whereas the average speed which other users in my area gets is 44.3Mb according to Uswitch) and upload limit is 0.6 MB (whereas other get an average of 8.3 MB).

I was recommended by the agent to upgrade to fiber as a last solution, certainly with paying much more than ADSL connection.

I believe that 2.6 MB does not fit into the range that Plusnet promised me in the beginning of the contract and despite their action for the improvement the situation seems same after 20 days. I wonder if it gives me right to cancel the contract, as this is not going in right direction.

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Re: very slow download and upload speeds

Hi @varan01

Thanks for getting in touch.

Your line is currently in sync at 20mb/s down and 0.8mb up.

It's worth bearing in mind that your line can only support up to around 20mb/s for download and around 1mb/s for the upload speed - the "average in your area" speeds are based on fibre connections, so not really comparable at this stage.

Could you please perform a wired speed test and let us know the results here?

Thanks

Dave

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Given the information you have provided I’m wondering if you are confusing bits and bytes.

Where did you get the 2.6MB figure from? That would a reasonable data transfer speed reported by an application on a line doing 20mbps.

b = bits
B = Bytes (8 bits)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

varan01
Dabbler

Let us forget about the speed rates. I could only write you now using my mobile's tethering, and just a few websites are managing to come onto my screen if I wait patiently. 

This has been going on for most of the evening times.

And plus, when my wife dials in, my computer is loosing the connection, and vice versa. It is really nice of you to push the hardwork on me and just do nothing about the speed. I cannot talk about any speed now, it is in reality not functioning.

And I believe I do not need to contact Plusnet every month, and I do not need to struggle with the low service. Please cancel the contract and free me. Please! And no more technical jargon please.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

There are test actions users need to perform in order to help locate the cause of your issue.

At the time you reported this issue before, your line was found to be in sync at the correct speed. You were asked where you were getting the speed measures from - you have yet to answer the question.

You want help but do not appear to want to help others to help you. This is technical stuff with technical terms, it helps to learn a little.

There’s a lot of things which can cause slow speeds, from internal wiring to congested WiFi spectrum where you live.

If you really want to cancel the account then that cannot be done on the forums. You need to phone the support number and select the option for I’m thinking of leaving. If this is a problem with your line or internal wiring changing ISPs is unlikely to fix anything for you.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us.

I can see we've detected a high resistance fault on the line this morning and we've reported this to Openreach.

We've been advised to progress the fault we need to arrange an engineer visit with yourself.

With this in mind, could you reply to This Ticket with your availability for an appointment please? Once you've done this if you can nudge us over here we'll be happy to ensure this is picked up at a priority.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
varan01
Dabbler

I have now replied to the ticket with my available time slots.

Please note that this is 5th arranged engineering visit to my flat in 5 months since I moved to Plusnet. Too much waste of time, isn't it for a basic internet connection?  

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thank you for getting back to us.

Sorry for the repeated engineering visits, we're not really in control of line faults I'm afraid however I will ensure this is escalated with Openreach before the appointment to try to ensure a multi-skilled engineer is assigned.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet