cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage system

pcoventry76
Grafter

usage system

I know it's farly accurate, i was just wondering why despite me being in bed lastnight at 11pm and not on the pc today until after 8am, and with all my pc and networking being off, that the usage system says i used 295.31KB overnight?
is this just general traffic which is acclated on a non active adsl line?
11 REPLIES 11
James
Grafter

Re: usage system

Hi Pete,
That will be background traffic hitting your router from the outside world.  Those figures would be pretty common with what I would expect.
pcoventry76
Grafter

thanks - you can delete this thread if you wish it wont le me do it
pete
pcoventry76
Grafter

well ill see how i go.. my zoom router was taking an hour to sync with the exchange everytime it rebooted - so ive swapped it for a belkin one which is doing as it should so ill see what its like
i have the firewall on on PN account router and PC
Pete
jnwright
Grafter

PJ's link is broken - should be https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=firewall
Setting that to high should minimise the traffic going to your router and being logged by PlusNet's usage system although 0.295MB per night isn't much, only about 9MB per month - not a big dent in your allowance!  I did note that my usage dropped to zero for a couple of weeks when a tall vehicle pulled down my phone line - took some time to get it repaired as it required an extra pole to get the line high enough above the road to meet current legislation!
pcoventry76
Grafter

mines just as bad..  Cry
pcoventry76
Grafter

Well i did all that was suggested on the firewall and turned my router off overnight yet i still managed to use 198.18KB it seems
okay so it's 200k but it's still 200k i didn't use
hmm.....
pcoventry76
Grafter

hmm, this would explain why my bbphone cannot connection, due to the high settings. everything else works fine
It's okay PN just let me do 5.9GB overnight so i am happy, when they let me do things like that then it makes 200k seem pointless to argue.
I'll change it to low when i need to use the BBphone
Pete
pcoventry76
Grafter

i streamed 6 hours of 64kbps radio overnight while i worked, nothing has shown up on the usage charts which is odd. ( although it's included in the alowance figures)
pcoventry76
Grafter

Sorry to keep on about this but i just want to make sure im reading the usage stats right.
I assume i am as i'm not at 128k yet. My cap is 10GB as you know on Pro
So far im near 12GB total but paid usage is 1.91GB and Free usage is 9.75
Is it the Paid usage that goes towards my account cap? and is that what i need to be looking at? i mean the important bit
Thanks and ill not ask again Smiley
Pete
James
Grafter

Pete,
the only figure you need to concern yourself with is paid usage.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Thankyou