cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usage puzzle

ivanhoew
Dabbler

usage puzzle

hmm, well ,just trolled over to plusnet from orange following thier hike in prices ,and thought ,nah , i wont use any more than 10gb ...thatll be fine ....er...
um...
well the situation is ,with my partner and her daughter here for the next month ,wev used about 1.4 gb in 2 days ....this is not according to the plan ,,,suggestions that they spend less time on f book ect are met with a slightly dissapointed reaction ....(utilizing my british understatement gene here).
so my options seem to be ,to let them fire away then get them to pay the extra used  at i think a quid a gb? ,or find a way to pay for extra before the fact and itll be a bit less ...!
if i upgrade then that wiill come into effect on the 30 august ,when they leave so not really what i need ,and i think i cant upgrade to the unlimited for a month of aug and then downgrade again just for me ,because its all too late .
have i got that right ?
i realy had no idea the usage was so high .
anyone conteplating the different packages ,have a really good look at you usage before comparing stuff .... at this rate ill be back up to the 19.99 plus 10.75 ,for unlimited and land line ,which is what orange costs with free daytime calls .hmmmm
cerebral hemisphere now bubbling a bit like a just hit dalek..
going to calm down . Crazy Cheesy
regards
robert .

16 REPLIES 16
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: usage puzzle

Quote from: ivanhoew
if i upgrade then that wiill come into effect on the 30 august ,when they leave so not really what i need

Hi Robert, welcome to the forums!  If your excess usage is likely to be for a month here and a month there, then your best bet may well be to pay for the extra as and when you need it. The cost depends on what product you have, but it can be cheaper to order gbs in advance.
Chris
edit to add content following a misposting!
ivanhoew
Dabbler

thank you for the reply chris .. i think your right ,ill have a search to see how i do this .
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

1.4GB in 2 days does seem a fair bit for normal browsing, is there a lot of YouTube or iPlayer going on?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ivanhoew
Dabbler

yes adie ,
iv been runnung an experiment with a you tube ban and a no vids ,and usage dropped from 800 mb to 160 mb per day ! 
i let the girls have open access yesterday and its back up to 690 mb a day ,so today msn ok but no u tube and so far 160 mb ,so looks like thats the cause .
my partner is happy to pay for extra so they can be unlimited , but i dont know if its cheaper to do that before they use it or just payg after the fact ,,,
i cant find anything anywhere thats specifies the cheapest way to add mb's.
thanks
robert
scootie
Grafter

if your on the new value then you can buy them in 2gb blocks at £2  ago
ivanhoew
Dabbler

this is my first month asbo  ,so yes on the new value ... how exactly do i go about buying them ? or do i just let it run over and the extra charge will be applied to my account at the end of august ?
regards
robert
mal0z
Grafter

Go to your member centre:
https://portal.plus.net/index_nlp.html?home=membercentretop
My Account | Upgrade account | Add more Usage to my account
or straight here
https://portal.plus.net/products/upgrade/change_data_transfer.html
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: ivanhoew
hmm, well ,just trolled over to plusnet from orange following thier hike in prices ,and thought ,nah , i wont use any more than 10gb ...thatll be fine ....er...
um...

Me too.  Wasn't sure about the 10GB limit at the time but for me the secret so far has been to make use of the free period from midnight until 8 am.  For example, a one hour BBC television program downloaded using the BBC iPlayer consumes about 650 kB so around 15 hours of TV would consume my monthly allowance.  But not if I download during the free period to watch later. 
ivanhoew
Dabbler

thats a good idea reed, i ll have to try to organise a timer on the downloads ..i go to bed at 10 lol
mal , thanks for the links ,, id searched them for ages trying to find what your describing  eg the ''add more usage'' section ,stuffed if i can find it though .it doesnt seem to be on the new 'value' pages ?
regards
robert
mal0z
Grafter

Oh well - as I'm not on the new value products - must be different then.
As there aren't many PN guys around on a Sunday - maybe worth starting a ticket and asking formally
https://portal.plus.net/wizard/index.html?help_action=tdl01
ivanhoew
Dabbler

slight update to this...
i was informed that i was beung upgraded to the unlimited service .. this was news to me !
it appears that a request to upgrade was recieved by plusnet ...  i definately didnt and dont want this . i made this clear to the ticket sender ,and the response is that ,for a month i am now on unlimited at 19.99.. i signed on for 5.99 for 3 months . stuck with it now it appears .not impressed by the comunication or attitude .
i had no confirmation e mail to say ,robert ,do you want to go unlimited ..and all i can assume is that , in my attempts to find a section no how to add a few more pre paid gigs , i inadvertantly clicked a button commiting me to something i dont want ..so be warned .
another interesting fact is that i seem to have gone from 9.6gb used around 25th of july ,to 15 gb on the 28th .since we have a no downloads ban this is strange , i cant access the records now because its over  to my new bill now .hmmm
disillusioned . Sad
regards robert
ivanhoew
Dabbler

heres the comunication i recieved ..ive taken out my surname  so the respondees were not being as abrupt as it may appear..[Additional Information]

hi support team ....i appear to have been upgraded to unlimited usage , i cant actually remember asking for this ? could you return me to my 10gb setting i was on ,has there been some sort of miscomunication on my part at some point ?
regards robert

*******r CSC Analyst 7:05am, Saturday 29th August 2009
Thank you for your query. I have checked the account and it appears there was a request by yourself (or someone with your login) to change the package via the website. Please confirm that you would still like us to change the package back to Value as this would take place on the next billing date.
Please feel free to reply through http://contactus.plus.net if you require further assistance on your queries.
Kind regards,
[Sms Message: Your Plusnet ticket has now been updated. Please visit http://contactus.plus.net to view the information or call our support team on 0845 140 0200.]

Your comment 8:05am, Saturday 29th August 2009
morning phil ,
i think this may be a case of me pressing the wrong buttons as i investigated my options .it may be worth while setting a 'last chance to opt for this choice' step at the end of the upgrade process ,
i definately dont want to upgrade and really cant afford an unexpected 19.99 bill ,where i was expecting a bill of 5.99 .please arrange for me to go to the value pack as soon as possible.
thank you
regards
robert

******* CSC Analyst 1:46am, Sunday 30th August 2009
Your account type has now been scheduled to change on the date below:
28-09-2009
Please check the Account Summary section of the portal on the specified date to
confirm.
Kind regards,
[Sms Message: Your account type has now been scheduled to change on the date below:
28-09-2009
Please check the Account Summary section of the portal on the specified date to
confirm.]

Your comment 8:08am, Sunday 30th August 2009
i have no idea what this means kevin ..my account has been scheduled to change to what ? from what ?does this mean i have to pay 19.99 for a month , or not ? will i go back to 5.99 as i expected my first 3 months to be? totally confused .id like to repeat i did not intentionally order an upgrade , in fact if you look at my convo on your forum under the user name ivanhoew you can see id investigated my options and had expected to pay for any extra kb's,as the value system ads them if i go over the limit .
regards robert

*****  CSC Analyst 3:22pm, Sunday 30th August 2009
Thank you for your query,
I can confirm that the scheduled to change from Unlimited to Value and will change to £5.99 per month for 3 months, increasing to £11.99 per month thereafter. Therefore when the account has changed, your usage allowance will become 10GB.
Kind regards,

Your comment 3:31pm, Sunday 30th August 2009
hi ewan ,
i dont know what ''scheduled to change'means ? also you say my allowance will become 10gb , my allowance is allready 10 gb , i signed up for the value package in the first place .stil completely confused ,although this entire convo is providing hilarious reading for my forum freinds .personally im getting very concerned .
regards robert

Your comment 3:52pm, Sunday 30th August 2009
what i should say in case i have not been clear is ,i signed onto the value scheme , i want to stay on the value scheme ,i dont want to go to the unlimited scheme .can you arrange for this to be so .
regards robert

****** CSC Analyst 11:23pm, Sunday 30th August 2009
Thank you for your reply. Your account is due to be changed onto the Value account on your next billing date (28/09/09). If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us either by our contact number 0845 1400 200 or via our help assistant
http://help.plus.net
Kind regards,
jim:red Multiple agents names removed as per forum rules mod:end

James
Grafter

Robert,
I've replied to your ticket.  What they are saying is that you are being moved back to Value on your next billing date as your account had already been changed to Unlimited.
tonycollinet
Grafter

James - doesn't he have a right to cancel the upgrade under the distance selling regulations?
If not, why not.
adie:quote